Feral Won't Say Yet If Their Newest Linux Game Will Support Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Won't Say Yet If Their Newest Linux Game Will Support Vulkan

Phoronix: Feral Won't Say Yet If Their Newest Linux Game Will Support Vulkan

This morning Feral announced Deus Ex: Mankind Divided as their latest high-profile game port to Linux and macOS. Under Windows is a Direct3D/X 12 renderer and Feral confirmed their macOS port will support the Metal Graphics API. But will the Linux port support Vulkan?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Metal was a natural choice for macOS because OpenGL is locked at 4.1 there and the game may need extensions only found in newer GL specs. I think MoltenVK (Vulkan on Metal) would be the better choice so that Mac and Linux could share a Vulkan code path and simplify the porting process.

Comment

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, it won't.

Comment

is it just me, or had they opted for vulkan on windows, that would save them a lot of work?
        also isn't there some project to make vulkan work on the mac?
        or maybe the industry just chooses to ignore metal and force Apple to embrace Vulkan or GTFO...

Comment

Vulkan? This is a Feral port, you will have to thank god if OpenGL performance will reach 50% of Windows: how can you truly expect Vulkan support?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            is it just me, or had they opted for vulkan on windows, that would save them a lot of work?
            also isn't there some project to make vulkan work on the mac?
            or maybe the industry just chooses to ignore metal and force Apple to embrace Vulkan or GTFO...
            As Xaero_Vincent said, MoltenVK exists for this reason.

Comment

"We’ll let you know when we have information" = Not going to happen. We have to learn to read between lines. Like for os x, they had no problem at all to say than it will support Metal, if the same would have applied for vulkan they would have had no problem either

Comment

Yeah, if they aren't running around screaming Vulkan to everyone who will listen then the answer is 100% no.

Comment

(seems that I can't edit post, seriously, only premium members? this is like the most basic feature)

btw, even if the game wont support vulkan, an dx12 vs dx11 vs metal vs opengl on linux benchmark would be interesting, definitely.

Comment

Not really. From the benchmarks I've seen it's not a true dx12 game. More of a Warhammeresque dx11 wrapper.

Comment

Working...
                    X