Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Been Another Exciting Week Of RADV Development (Radeon Vulkan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been Another Exciting Week Of RADV Development (Radeon Vulkan)

Phoronix: It's Been Another Exciting Week Of RADV Development (Radeon Vulkan)

The RADV open-source Radeon Vulkan driver continues to look promising and there's been a lot more code being merged the past few days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fast color clears sooner in radv than anv
    strange

Comment

There is also now an initial Vulkan implementation for Volcanic Islands hardware when using the AMDGPU driver. This VI support is good enough for running some demos, but appears more work is needed before it can be running Dota 2 and The Talos Principle.
      Yea, no.

But I see some commits for SI.

Comment

Do we need the experimental AMDGPU kernel for SI to get Vulkan working on Pro-Vulkan and RADV? I've got a Pitcairn GPU (R9 270) and wanted to test out some Vulkan action, but it never seems to be supported when I check for updates.

Comment

I'm fairly confident in saying that if you want Vulcan in linux with Pitcairn, it has to be with amdgpu for now... And even then, it's a matter of luck if it works.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 1GB 7850 in my main desktop (also Pitcairn).

​​​

Comment

Probably too soon for any testing on SI, unless you are doing it purely to help development and are not expecting much in the way of useful results. That said, (a) there may have been progress in the last week or so that I missed and (b) yes you will need a specially built kernel.

Looks like SI support has been added to drm-next-4.9-wip although don't know if that has been tested much after integration, so either that or drm-next-4.9-si branch, both from agd5f's repo on fdo.
            Test signature

Comment

i did some radv on SI test
              http://gearsongallium.com - openSUSE base livecd with lates opensource video drivers with gallium-nine supportRadeon hd 7970intel i5 3330openSUSE Factory

dota2 and many other tests hangs system after few seconds.

Comment

Pontostroy you can use this patch:

For better opengl performance and maybe vulkan too.. Who knows

LeJimster i don't know if vulkan-pro even works for Si yet. There's amd-staging-4.7 or drm-next-4.9-wip with Si support but i doubt it will work with pro driver for now. Maybe bridgman knows.

Don't ​​​​​​ try drm-next-4.9-si there's no dpm working for me.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                  i did some radv on SI test
                  http://gearsongallium.com - openSUSE base livecd with lates opensource video drivers with gallium-nine supportRadeon hd 7970intel i5 3330openSUSE Factory

dota2 and many other tests hangs system after few seconds.
                  Same on my Polaris.

The commits that were reverted here were responsible: https://github.com/BNieuwenhuizen/me...resting-revert but there's something more going on because with later commits it still produced hangs and it hasn't been bisected yet.

That said, it could also be a different problem on SI.

amdgpu-pro needs to deliver their modified libdrm, xf86-video-amdgpu with SI support. It's likely not in the current amdgpu-pro release.

Comment

In theory pro driver should work with open libdrm and ddx this is how i understand this amdgpu+/-pro mess, but life is life.
                    ​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X