Testing The Open-Source "RADV" Radeon Vulkan Driver vs. AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
    Thanks. I don't suppose you can be a little more specific. Because some people say 2 years, but I think that's way too long. Can we expect something in ~6 months?
    More like 6 months than 2 years, but can't say 6 months yet. Could be less, could be more, you know... jumping around.
    Test signature

Comment

I don't think it's a "succeed" or "fail" situation... 6 months ago the Mesa driver wasn't ready to completely replace the closed source GL driver for gaming. Doesn't mean things can't change as the open source drivers improve.

We need the hybrid driver for workstation anyways (unless we can wean all the CAD ISVs off compatibility profiles), so it's not like we are wasting a lot of effort by also offering the hybrid driver for consumer use while we finish off the workstation functionality.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well is basically Dota2 and Talos all we have for vulkan on linux, so is hard not to optimize for one or two games literally
        It is OK, those averages sort of lying anyway ... see here how average is lower on nvidia, but 30-60 is much less with VK and above 60 higher % then else... so game is good optimized already, but benchmark average number just does not tell the whole story .

Comment

To me, fglrx/Catalyst worked fine, except they don't support the latest Xorg (for whatever reason) and it's not easily possible to use them with grsec because of a buffer-overflow in the Kernel module (which hasn't been fixed in several years) and driver module generation for the Kernel. All my games work fine with them (fglrx/Catalyst) which doesn't happen on RadeonSI, and to me more importantly than fun is OpenCL rendering on Blender, which offloads my CPU and uses GPU (twice as fast as my 6-core processor, not to mention my processor doesn't have to work at 70ºC for 8 hours every day since my GPU is rendering and only goes to 45ºC).

I think AMD is going in the right direction with AMDGPU. I hope this driver has some good support for GCN 1.0 cards in the near future.

Comment

Not sure what happens there, but it is probably nvidia GL render impossibile high fps for couple secs and then take that shit on average too

So i am more interested to see those deep down cases in %

Comment

Since people are going to test radv now, please report back whether dota 2 works. For me on my RX 480 it hangs the GPU since https://github.com/airlied/mesa/comm...3c814b12726a05, but reverting this one (And another one that depends on it still causes hangs, so there's also something else going on after this commit).

If it works or if it doesn't work for you: Please post your configuration.

Comment

Wow, that is amazing! Did not expect RADV to be anywhere near that advanced so quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it's not just legal review. somebody has to turn windows vuklan driver to opensourceable form. they have no resources for that, so do not expect they will magically find resources to maintain another driver
                  LOL they do have a *LINUX* driver.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

@LinuxID10T

The patch is against ffmpeg not against mpv. I made a little different patch that just moves "case AV_PIX_FMT_YUV420P10:" one section above to allow VDPAU too, but this is untested yet. You can try any app against a patched ffmpeg.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

His patch is just for mplayer to get it to recognize that it is being accelerated. It doesn't work on Kodi or VLC as of right now. The only player which works that I've tried is Windows Media Player, and that definitely doesn't run on Linux. Oddly enough, VLC on Windows will not accelerate decode with DXVA2 either.
                      It works for mpv under linux, that uses ffmpeg library. Haven't tried mplayer, nor vlc.

Comment

Working...
                      X