No announcement yet.

Testing The Open-Source "RADV" Radeon Vulkan Driver vs. AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chimpy I'm not sure. That depends on my personal situation in the future and the state of the code of the AMD vulkan driver when it is open sourced.

jrch2k8 We have a new NIR->LLVM pass that does a direct translation.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      What's the reason for using NIR, instead of translating SPIR-V directly into lower representations?
      We're the Mesa community, we like to share code
      Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
      Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

another big fail by amd non free driver, put your ppl working with opensource driver and fogert the catalyst/amdpro for once

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          Holy shit i expected it to be way less than this, Holy Moly AMDGPU-PRO took a beating this week.
          not really. radv won on cpu-bound tests because it does less work on cpu. on gpu-bound tests radv lost because less work on cpu means less optimal gpu setup

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            The funny thing is that the legal review is taking more than 6 months while writing a full driver from scratch took just a week.
            it's not just legal review. somebody has to turn windows vuklan driver to opensourceable form. they have no resources for that, so do not expect they will magically find resources to maintain another driver

Comment

btw, it was neither full nor from scratch

Comment

and nor week

Comment

BNieuwenhuizen Well hopefully AMD and their people (Bridgman) will reach out to you and David and lend their resources. If Radv is this far along, AMD should might as well use it.

Comment

Well i think using NIR is actually good idea B, after all intel uses it too for their anv driver.
                    irrelevant, intel does not use llvm
                    reuse mesa shader compiler that intel uses??
                    lol, that compiler will generate code for intel gpus

Comment

RADV is a very interesting project, maybe even better than the Intel Vulkan implementation already. I hope there will be much more Vulkan games in the near future. Btw. an article about the state of HEVC Main 10 decode would be interesting as vdpauinfo/vainfo show support for it with Polaris GPUs. A working implementation would be very cool. Kaby Lake based laptops/NUCs should be available soon too, so this could be compared then. Kaby Lake desktop CPUs take a bit more time.

Comment

Working...
                      X