X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    andre30correia

• andre30correia
    replied
    another big fail by amd non free driver, put your ppl working with opensource driver and fogert the catalyst/amdpro for once

Leave a comment:

• Kayden
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    What's the reason for using NIR, instead of translating SPIR-V directly into lower representations?
    We're the Mesa community, we like to share code

Leave a comment:

• BNieuwenhuizen
    Phoronix Member

• BNieuwenhuizen
    replied
    chimpy
    chimpy I'm not sure. That depends on my personal situation in the future and the state of the code of the AMD vulkan driver when it is open sourced.

jrch2k8
    jrch2k8 We have a new NIR->LLVM pass that does a direct translation.

Leave a comment:

• xeekei

• xeekei
    replied
    Promising for the future. Now if RX 480 could stop being the same price as a GTX 1060 in Sweden, maybe I could justify buying one.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by BNieuwenhuizen View Post

Currently we don't really use the advantages that much, but we expect that inter-stage optimization will be easier to do in NIR than in either SPIR-V or LLVM IR. Basically SPIR-V is annoying to use for the result of transformations, and LLVM IR makes it complicated to represent some graphics shader concepts.
    Well i think using NIR is actually good idea B, after all intel uses it too for their anv driver.

My guess is the extra eyes may help a lot on the SPIR side instead of going to LLVM IR alone and this benchies demonstrate so far the performance hit is negible enough, at least until more complex vulkan code reach Linux that could justify going that low level but if the shader cache hits vulkan then is even less important.

just one question, NIR goes straight to LLVM or you using NIR->TGSI->LLVM or simply NIR->reuse mesa shader compiler that intel uses??

Leave a comment:

• chimpy

• chimpy
    replied
    BNieuwenhuizen
    Phoronix Member
    BNieuwenhuizen What are the eventual plans for radv? I mean will you keep developing this driver if AMD decides not use it as the base for their open source Vulkan driver?

Leave a comment:

• Evil Penguin

• Evil Penguin
    replied
    What's the reason for using NIR, instead of translating SPIR-V directly into lower representations?
    I'm curious about this as well, can someone pitch in?
    The performance is very surprising! I hope someone from AMD will give us an update regarding their Vulkan open-source driver. They've been a little too quiet on this matter.

Leave a comment:

• BNieuwenhuizen
    Phoronix Member

• BNieuwenhuizen
    replied
    Currently we don't really use the advantages that much, but we expect that inter-stage optimization will be easier to do in NIR than in either SPIR-V or LLVM IR. Basically SPIR-V is annoying to use for the result of transformations, and LLVM IR makes it complicated to represent some graphics shader concepts.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic

• darkbasic
    replied
    Forgot to thank David Airlie for the great work.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic

• darkbasic
    replied
    SPOILER: AMD's implementation will be a DAL-like compatibility-layer nightmare and everybody will simply stick with RADVD.

P.S. The funny thing is that the legal review is taking more than 6 months while writing a full driver from scratch took just a week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X