Testing The Open-Source "RADV" Radeon Vulkan Driver vs. AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@lethalwp

Maybe try Kodi and vlc as well. Also vdpau would be interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @lethalwp

Maybe try Kodi and vlc as well. Also vdpau would be interesting...
      His patch is just for mplayer to get it to recognize that it is being accelerated. It doesn't work on Kodi or VLC as of right now. The only player which works that I've tried is Windows Media Player, and that definitely doesn't run on Linux. Oddly enough, VLC on Windows will not accelerate decode with DXVA2 either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        Does this mean the release is just stalled but is still coming? or do you have no idea/not allowed to say?
        If it were not for radv I would have said "still coming but going very slowly" (whereas OpenCL is going better). Given the progress with radv my thinking has been to change our open sourcing focus from tackling the hard parts first (rewriting the big chunks) to tackling the easy parts first in areas where they might help radv. Still under discussion.

There has been enough progress that we might be able to do something like releasing sooner but with "raw" replacement code, then improve the replacement code after release. Ask again in a week or two.
        Last edited by bridgman; 30 August 2016, 05:08 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          if you will be happier by adding zero developers to radv, then sure, let them add zero developers to radv
          ?????
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            (whereas OpenCL is going better)
            You probably already answered this here, but does AMD have an idea of when OpenCL will be mostly open and working very close to the OpenCL present in Catalyst/AMDGPU-PRO?

Comment

So Talos missrender... this seems works for me - as it is one driver optimized for one game

But OK, nice to see it working

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                You probably already answered this here, but does AMD have an idea of when OpenCL will be mostly open and working very close to the OpenCL present in Catalyst/AMDGPU-PRO?
                Yes, but the dates jump around significantly as other priorities come and go, so not saying anything yet.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  So Talos missrender... this seems works for me - as it is one driver optimized for one game

But OK, nice to see it working
                  Well is basically Dota2 and Talos all we have for vulkan on linux, so is hard not to optimize for one or two games literally

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yes, but the dates jump around significantly as other priorities come and go, so not saying anything yet.
                    Thanks. I don't suppose you can be a little more specific. Because some people say 2 years, but I think that's way too long. Can we expect something in ~6 months?

Comment

Very nice job from the RADV team, congrats and many thanks to Dave and Bas!
                      I think it really illustrates why open source is the right way to go with the reusing of many existing blocks.
                      So thanks are also in order to all the people involved in these great open source projects used by RADV.

The open source vulkan driver is really important as it enables users to exclusively use amdgpu/radeonsi without having to switch between amdgpu/amdgpu-pro depending on game played.

I don't know about the year of Linux on the desktop, but 2017 sure is shaping to be the year of Radeon on Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X