"Vulkan Next" Is In Active Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille View Post
    Now it beats OpenGL but currently only on pair with D3D11.
    According to this post it goes above in all 3 cases, so SteamOS beats Windows 10 in both common APIs and kills the third uncommon one

http://steamcommunity.com/app/257510...43951733475363
    Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2016, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I think people are going to be greatly disappointed when Vulkan finally gets better multi GPU support (ie. resource sharing and all that), and they notice that this doesn't automatically make all their Vulkan-enabled games render on more than GPU just like before.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

According to this post it goes above in all 3 cases, so SteamOS beats Windows 10 in both common APIs and kills the third uncommon one
        i guess we interpret the numbers different.

Windows with D3D11 has average 84.4 FPS and with Vulkan on Windows 79.2 FPS. The both very close, so i say they on pair. On Linux the Vulkan Renderer has 87,5 FPS (both runs/2) All Numbers not very far away from each other.

Comment

So it is faster on SteamOS that is the point, both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers per se are faster on Linux (on nvidia OK)... and also Vulkan on Linux beating DX11 in comparison

Better 5% then fastest renderer on Windows is still better

And VK on Linux vs VK on Windows... seems Windows lose 10% somewhere that is not nothing
          Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2016, 03:35 AM.

Comment

So it is faster on SteamOS that is the point, both OpenGL and Vulkan renderers per se are faster on Linux (on nvidia OK)...
            Faster? yes, but not faster that makes a big differences. About OpenGL the LOW FPS are interesting on Windows.

and also Vulkan on Linux beating DX11 in comparison
            Its like comparing DX12 against OpenGL. Its sad thats not much faster as D3D11. Nothing to boast.

Comment

Well faster is faster I didn't say incredible and very much faster, but results on a link are faster

Originally posted by Nille View Post
              Faster? yes, but not faster that makes a big differences.
              It makes the difference, as before this patch vulkan renderer was much slower in Talos and now they got it So Michael might want to benchmark that as he has Talos test

I didn't ask unrelated things like to benchmark GL games like ETS2, CiV5 or Dead Island... even that i know recent amdgpu-pro boosted perf in those titles with a driver currently only avaliable in SteamOS repos
              Last edited by dungeon; 28 July 2016, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                What about better debugging tools, better example codes, mature tools, etc? I have read about people saying that as an argument about why they choose Dx12 instead of Vulkan, and that sucks, I hope than khronos will improve on this point (if they really want than vulkan can compete with dx12 on AAA games). Another thing is than AAA devs with dx12 can have the support from microsoft if they need help, but what on the case of vulkan? posting on a community forum?

Anyway, multiGPU support is something than vulkan is lacking right now compared to dx12, so they have to release it as soon as possible
                What can you do, Khronos doesn't do tools. Microsoft, on the other hand, is pretty good at this (in part because everything is done in house and they don't have to coordinate with other parties).

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

in linux amd crossfire don't work (even in windows it sucks) and sli is become less and less necessary, having a single and powerfull gpu is much better, only 1% of gamers use it
                I think this is meant more for professional usage, where the percentage will be "slightly" higher than 1%. Fwiw, I think desktop usage of SLI/Crossfire is well under 1%. But it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Originally posted by EKRboi View Post
                  Personally I don't like it. Vulkan is trailing DX12 in the asynchronous compute and multi GPU departments. As a multi monitor gamer I am VERY much looking forward to what Vulkan can offer. I run a 5930k @ 4.3 GHz + 3x GTX 970. I have no problem running many games at the resolution (5760x1080) and frame rate I prefer in Windows with SLI. It's a DAMN shame I cannot run those same games it Linux because OpenGL fucking blows in that regard. It's damn time gaming on Linux can utilize the hardware I can throw at it.
                  Well, yes, I agree with your last sentiment, but you do understand that your setup isn't exactly "mainstream"? The driver and OpenGL support in Linux has been lacking in soooo many areas that SLI and multi-GPU isn't really at the front of the line. I think we need to remember that it was just 2 years ago that we just passed full OpenGL 3 support. Times are better than ever and the amazing developers (for both Intel, AMD and even NVidia) will continue to improve our world every day!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Because they haven't determined the version number yet. 1.1 vs 1.2 vs 1.5 vs 2.0 - so they're going with "next" as a placeholder.
                    That’s a poor choice IMO, it sounds like "we just released Vulkan and we are already thinking of replacing it, so don’t bother learning it".

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

Explicit multi adapter isn't crossfire or SLI. Everyone would be using it if it was available.
                      No...

Comment

Working...
                      X