"Vulkan Next" Is In Active Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    What can you do, Khronos doesn't do tools. Microsoft, on the other hand, is pretty good at this (in part because everything is done in house and they don't have to coordinate with other parties).

I think this is meant more for professional usage, where the percentage will be "slightly" higher than 1%. Fwiw, I think desktop usage of SLI/Crossfire is well under 1%. But it doesn't really matter.
    Well, if more of you guys had actually watched the stream (my apologies if you did) you would have seen that Tom raves about the amazing community that has sprung up, and is SO glad that they've open-sourced everything (thanks to the constant nagging from Christophe Riccie, a prominent developer and FOSS-proponent at Unity and GLM fame, among other things). He also talks about Khronos complete lack of funds, but that they are working on being able to support the development of much improved tutorials and tools. During this, they keep thanking Baldur for doing RenderDoc, which I've only heard great things about.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Its like comparing DX12 against OpenGL. Its sad thats not much faster as D3D11. Nothing to boast.
      their vulkan renderer is a work in progress and under active development. You only get it if you opt into public beta. The openGL and directx renderers are mature. So the performance is not sad at all...

Comment

generalized render-pass/sub-pass dependencies
        If GPU, graphics developers could freely specify passess and sub-passess in a render/compute loop. And by specifying the order and dependencies in an elegant and straightforward way, this would be great!
        I would love to see freeform pipelines able to use vertex, fragment, tesselation, compute, other passess in any arbitrary order. Really allows the game engine programmers to code the pipeline how they see fit.
        (Specifying the order by using the order of the passess in the code should definitely be in it.)

But surely using compute passess and sub-passess in the render loop would be part of this generalized ordering mechanism as well right?
        And what about asynchronous shaders? Will they be specified?
        Will it be possible to specify using a result from an asynchronous shader when the result is ready and use either a placeholder result or alternative execution path in the shader when the result is not ready yet?
        Last edited by plonoma; 28 July 2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          "a rigorous memory model"

Uh, wasn't the whole point of these shiny new APIs the fact that they wanted to get rid of this?
          you seem to be confused with what memory model is
          here is education for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory..._(programming)

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            What about better debugging tools, better example codes, mature tools, etc?
            i assume that stuff do not require api changes

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
              I know having support in Visual Studio would go a long way for many devs.
              will those devs develop for linux?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                Yeah I think they need to be convincing devs to use Vulkan
                what devs? all major engines are part of khronos vulkan developers
                Last edited by pal666; 28 July 2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X