Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 Ported To Run On Vulkan

Phoronix: Quake 1 Ported To Run On Vulkan

One of the latest fun projects making use of Khronos' Vulkan API is a port for Quake 1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think that's cool as hell. It'll probably end up being a pretty good reference.

Comment

This is not a "port" per se, because the original Quake engine used software rasterization. It's more like "reimplementation" based on Vulkan.

Comment

Lots of games and groups working on Vulkan and AMDGPU, yet no good implementation of OpenCL for Mesa yet.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I think that's cool as hell. It'll probably end up being a pretty good reference.
          when the non-vulkan Quake 1 can run at like 200 fps on a multifunction printer CPU (exaggeration), I doubt it will. It needs to be a bit more heavy than that.

Comment

I would hope they would release the source code to id Tech 5 now that they have id Tech 6.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would hope they would release the source code to id Tech 5 now that they have id Tech 6.
              There was a guy at id who pretty much was the reason they had the policy of releasing the source code for previous generations tech. He's no longer there. The id of the past is no more, it's just a regular corporate bs company these days.

Comment

This is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  when the non-vulkan Quake 1 can run at like 200 fps on a multifunction printer CPU (exaggeration), I doubt it will. It needs to be a bit more heavy than that.
                  I'm guessing that as a developer interested in learning Vulkan, a simpler project like this probably will make a better reference than a modern engine.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    This is not a "port" per se, because the original Quake engine used software rasterization. It's more like "reimplementation" based on Vulkan.
                    Well, you are both right and wrong. The original Quake 1 release was a software rasterizer but Carmack ported that to OpenGL to run on the vodoo cards shortly after it was released. The port is quite famous since he wrote in his plan file that he really liked OpenGL and that he did it in a weekend.

Comment

Working...
                    X