Vulkan Support Still Isn't Ready For Ubuntu's Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    And of course the reply is stuck in the mod que again...

short version is, Perhaps it's true that DAL isn't the particular cause of this issue, but it must be some difference from the stock kernel. I don't necessarily think DAL is wrong or bad, but rather that differences between them is bad. The sooner you get them totally consolidated the better.
    Why does it have to be a kernel difference ? The main difference between the all-open and hybrid stacks is the userspace bits.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

No. We will not be providing a Mir server that uses the Wayland protocol.

Any Wayland-only software are either test drivers specific to developing Wayland servers, bespoke single-purpose applications, or will languish in obscurity as unfinished hobby projects. The same goes for Mir-only software. Everything else will be sensible and use one of the toolkits out there that hides the deets on how your frames get sent to a display, toolkits like Qt, GTK+, libSDL2, and the like.
      Khm.. I was sure I've seen "wayland compatibitily" layer on a some Mir slide. Well, seems I was wrong.
      Two questions then: I've heard X11 is a big hole in the app isolation system, suppose there will no Mir support in tooktits for some period of time and most apps will fallback to X11 protocol, will isolation work with X11 app working with Unity8/Mir? Do you have any plans to support nvidia approach with EglImage and EglStreams?

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
        Khm.. I was sure I've seen "wayland compatibitily" layer on a some Mir slide. Well, seems I was wrong.
        Two questions then: I've heard X11 is a big hole in the app isolation system, suppose there will no Mir support in tooktits for some period of time and most apps will fallback to X11 protocol, will isolation work with X11 app working with Unity8/Mir? Do you have any plans to support nvidia approach with EglImage and EglStreams?
        QT, GTK and SDL have Mir support I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
          1. There is already support in Qt (Unity 8, for example, is written using Qt), GTK+ (Canonical is an active upstream GTK+ contributor) and SDL2 (also an upstream contributor). There are other ports going on.
          2. X11 is a big security hole because it has evolved into not just a display server, but also an input server and a generalized IPC mechanism. That's one of the reasons there is a movement away from X11. To work around that security hole, a separate X11 server has to be run for each application and IPC re-routed through a trusted and audited arbiter. That level of isolation is already working but the long game is to wean applications off of X11 entirely. The 1980s were great but they're (mostly) over.
          3. We're working directly with nVidia (as are the Weston developers) regarding EGLStreams, but the Mir apprach to buffer allocation and chaining is already different from the Weston one so Mir does not have the same challenges in integrating nVidia's approach.

Comment

Working...
          X