Vulkan Support Still Isn't Ready For Ubuntu's Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

That would make sense if your third sentence was accurate in any way. Mir replaces wayland, not weston. And yes, rewriting wayland makes them a bunch of morons.
    Wayland is a protocol implemented not only by Gnome, but also KDE, Tizen under both Linux Foundation and Samsung, Jolla and Enlightenment funded by Samsung. Mir would not exist without Wayland developer doing the heavy lifting on the core element.
    Gnome on Wayland is already available and in use by default on login screen on Fedora since 21. Only remaining issue so far is the input especially for gaming purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Wayland is a protocol implemented not only by Gnome, but also KDE, Tizen under both Linux Foundation and Samsung, Jolla and Enlightenment funded by Samsung. Mir would not exist without Wayland developer doing the heavy lifting on the core element.
      Gnome on Wayland is already available and in use by default on login screen on Fedora since 21. Only remaining issue so far is the input especially for gaming purpose.
      I can't wait for it, you make it sound so exciting. Once wayland desktops can be used for linux gamers more effectively I'll switch over. I'm really excited.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        Only remaining issue so far is the input especially for gaming purpose.
        Along with currently non existing proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Along with currently non existing proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers for Wayland.
          AMD open source drivers are doing pretty awesome. Assuming they incorporate Vulkan into the open source driver in a year like they said they would the proprietary driver will not be needed for the desktop in any way. Nvidia will have Wayland support when they pull their head out of their ass, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

That would make sense if your third sentence was accurate in any way. Mir replaces wayland, not weston.
            AFAIR, they have promised to implement Wayland front-end as well. So, the only difference is that Mir will have 1 additional lightweight front-end for Ubuntu phone apps.

Comment

As much as I see Canonical trying to Microsoft the Linux sphere, I really wish they succeed in the mobile space so I can have a real linux phone.
              Honestly I thought the same, before I got an Ubuntu phone and used (or better tried to use) it for some months. After using it some months I switched back to Android. Sorry to say but Ubuntu phone is such a crap. I doubt that they will succeed. Even though they have some core applications, that are okish, there is so much brokenness and slowness.
              I am so happy to be back on Android because even the main tasks like phoning, take notes, reminders, mail, navigation are a pain in the ass on Ubuntu phone. So, good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Honestly I thought the same, before I got an Ubuntu phone and used (or better tried to use) it for some months. After using it some months I switched back to Android. Sorry to say but Ubuntu phone is such a crap. I doubt that they will succeed. Even though they have some core applications, that are okish, there is so much brokenness and slowness.
                I am so happy to be back on Android because even the main tasks like phoning, take notes, reminders, mail, navigation are a pain in the ass on Ubuntu phone. So, good luck with it.
                My experience is the exact reverse of yours, yes phone had problems and bugs when it came out, but majority of them are ironed out now and I am pretty satisfied with my phone. I even made an experiment and flashed Android onto it, used it for about a week or two, but ran away back to Ubuntu Touch. After more than a year on Ubuntu phone I found Android to be clumsy, ugly, extremely invasive when it comes to privacy and battery life is worse than on Ubuntu Touch. Sure it has more applications and they start faster due to ART, but no thank you. And Ubuntu UI is far superior to UI on Android for my taste, it is slick, quick and I can multitask on it easily, I greatly missed swiping gestures on Android. I am staying with Ubuntu phone and looking forward to X applications on it and wifi screencasting convergence if I buy Meizu MX6.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                  AFAIR, they have promised to implement Wayland front-end as well. So, the only difference is that Mir will have 1 additional lightweight front-end for Ubuntu phone apps.
                  Wat? So they are making their own display server protocol just so they can make 2 different compatibility layers (one for Wayland and one for X11 legacy)?

So much smart.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                    Given that AMDGPU-PRO is based off AMDGPU that does support wayland, I don't see how it could not support wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Given that AMDGPU-PRO is based off AMDGPU that does support wayland, I don't see how it could not support wayland.
                      It doesn't unfortunately according to this article:

Außerdem folgt dieser Treiber den Konventionen anderer freier Treiber, weshalb auch ein Wayland-Compositor zumindest theoretisch auf der Radeon RX 480 läuft. Mit dem proprietären Treiber von Nvidia ist dies zurzeit nur über eine Eigenlösung von Nvidia möglich. In einem kurzen Test auf Ubuntu 16.04 stürzten aber Weston und Kwin-Wayland mit einem Speicherzugriffsfehler ab, was auf einen fehlerhaften Treiber hindeutet.
                      Weston and Kwin/Wayland crash with the AMDGPU-PRO driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X