Two Weeks Until Likely Updates To OpenGL, Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You misunderstand, There are many laptops with multiple GPU's from different vendors. That's the point.
    One of them is only called a GPU to not hurt the feelings of said vendor though. You could wire it up in a multi-GPU system, but it would be like pouring a glass of water into the ocean, to make it bigger. One of them is always a low-power/low-performance GPU, that's why the whole system has been invented.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Whatever runs the latest games, as it has always been, and always will be.
      So consoles as always, worthwhile latest games usually goes there first anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        So consoles as always,
        Yes. LATEST consoles for the console gaming, and whatever newish hardware runs the latest games on PC at decent resolutions and framerates.

dungeon's VERY personal opinion of what are worthwhile latest games usually goes there first anyway.
        fixed.
        The whole RTS category for example is PC-only, as is the space sim category, as is weird stuff like Kerbal SPace Program, and so on and so forth.

Comment

Yes. LATEST consoles for the console gaming, and whatever newish hardware runs the latest games on PC at decent resolutions and framerates.
          So on hardware requirement you didn't answered, on what machine is enough you don't too... and next question with no clear answer would be - what are decent resolutions and framerates per you?

The whole RTS category for example is PC-only, as is the space sim category, as is weird stuff like Kerbal SPace Program, and so on and so forth.
          OK if i play RTSs on PC only (but other games on consoles) what kind machine is enough for me? With those xyz decent resolutions and decent frame rates of course.

I guess 4K is now decent or is that future still? As 95% so most people still play PC games on 1080p and even lower So, decent is 1080p or something else? Or i must be in those 5% to be decent?
          Last edited by dungeon; 13 July 2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

So on hardware requirement you didn't answered, on what machine is enough you don't too... and next question with no clear answer would be - what are decent resolutions and framerates per you?

OK if i play RTSs on PC only (but other games on consoles) what kind machine is enough for me? With those xyz decent resolutions and decent frame rates of course.

I guess 4K is now decent or is that future still? As 95% so most people still play PC games on 1080p and even lower So, decent is 1080p or something else? Or i must be in those 5% to be decent?
            Anything equal in performance to Iris Pro or better is bare minimum.

Comment

So on hardware requirement you didn't answered,
              I can't say "you need X and Y, period" because it depends from many factors, also as time goes on newer games need better GPUs.

on what machine is enough you don't too... and next question with no clear answer would be - what are decent resolutions and framerates per you?
              The answer varies a lot depending on who you ask, minimum appears to be mostly 1080p/60fps without pulling most visual effects (high settings, not ultra settings).

If you ask hardcore gamers they will probably say higher res and framerates and quality settings.

Then you need to figure out each game's TRUE requirements to give you that performance (look at reviews or know from experience), as the ones stated officially are usually totally random, and you will find what PC hardware you need to buy.

Sounds harder than it is, really, but it scares off many people.

OK if i play RTSs on PC only (but other games on consoles) what kind machine is enough for me? With those xyz decent resolutions and decent frame rate of course.
              Whatever you find acceptable. Usually 1080p/60fps, may be more. Specific game's requirements determines hardware.

If you wondered why most people buy consoles, you have an answer right here. No need to do their homework to be sure it will run the games they buy.
              They know the games will run like crap, but it's GUARANTEED that the game will run as advertised on the box. For many is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Anything equal in performance to Iris Pro or better is bare minimum.
                This is your own personal opinion, and is also wrong. For gaming you need midrange cards for minimum, not anything integrated, not even APUs that still laugh at Iris Pro.

Comment

This is your own personal opinion, and is also wrong. For gaming you need midrange cards for minimum, not anything integrated, not even APUs that still laugh at Iris Pro.
                  I'm not wrong, And your opinion is fine too of course, but most people game casually and play on stock settings. There really is no point in repeating myself again, Iris Pro or something about equal in performance as a minimum would mean that most people could install their games and play them without even thinking about it.

EDIT: People buy consoles because it works without screwing around with it. PC's could get the same status if Intel would just make their minimum standard "fast enough".
                  Last edited by duby229; 13 July 2016, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Well i think this way , fastest Iris Pro currently is same, 50%, sometimes 2 times slower, pick your poison as you can't really compare that then let say GPU from PS4 from 3 years ago... and those new consoles that comming by the end of year will have 3-4 times faster GPUs So, that is sort of RX 480 hardware for PC that coming with new consoles.

And now what, it seems to me that $200 hardware for PC is bare minimum for let say decent AAA gaming in year 2017. let say... But that on Windows of course as on Linux shitty ports from lazy porters, slow apis, drivers, etc... various reasons, makes you needed double faster then that for *the safe* but similar results

So where we end up with all this, to buying fastest single GPU card currently on the market which costs twice more then Playstation - that is where seems PC logic goes, to - buy whatever you want
                    Last edited by dungeon; 13 July 2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Well i think this way , fastest Iris Pro currently is same, 50%, sometimes 2 times slower, pick your poison as you can't really compare that then let say GPU from PS4 from 3 years ago... and those new consoles that comming by the end of year will have 3-4 times faster GPUs So, that is sort of RX 480 hardware for PC that coming with new consoles.

And now what, it seems to me that $200 hardware for PC is bare minimum for let say decent AAA gaming in year 2017. let say... But that on Windows of course as on Linux shitty ports from lazy porters, slow apis, drivers, etc... various reasons, makes you needed double faster then that for *the safe* but similar results

So where we end up with all this, to buying fastest single GPU card currently on the market which costs twice more then Playstation - that is where seems PC logic goes, to - buy whatever you want
                      Well, Let me just say that Moore's Law is such a ridiculous over-simplification that it isn't funny at all. Intel knows full well that volume will cover the costs of production.

EDIT: I never did understand why the F___ Intel fuses off capability in it's dies to segment it's product lines. If it was there to fuse off, the production costs were already F___ing paid for.
                      Last edited by duby229; 13 July 2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X