New Vulkan Slides; Wondering If "OpenGL 4.6" Will Be Out This Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vulkan Slides; Wondering If "OpenGL 4.6" Will Be Out This Summer

Phoronix: New Vulkan Slides; Wondering If "OpenGL 4.6" Will Be Out This Summer

The Vulkan DevDay UK event happened at the end of May in Cambridge while now the slides are available...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ay-2016-Slides

Honestly they should have branded the OpenGL 2015 release as OpenGL 4.6. Even Mesamatrix.net doesn't list the OpenGL 2015 extensions and we are the ones who are supposed to be the ones who know this stuff inside out.

Comment

I hope than gl 4.5 hardware will be able to run gl 4.6 features, if not then those new features wont be used anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Even Mesamatrix.net doesn't list the OpenGL 2015 extensions.
        They did when the extensions were announced and then suddenly it disappeared and doesn't list them anymore. I was annoyed.

Comment

I'm still hoping that Kronos will "merge" or "bundle together" a few of these APIs. OpenGL ES 3.2 is basically now 95% of OpenGL 4.3, so probably doesn't need to exist as a separate thing any more.

Other things like OpenCL, OpenSVR, and OpenMAX would also seem to fit together in a comprehensive graphics library package... A simple rubber banding system of "you are guaranteed to get at least these versions of these APIs if you have OpenGL 4.6" would be helpful. It's not like there are space constraints on modern SSDs...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
            Other things like OpenCL, OpenSVR, and OpenMAX would also seem to fit together in a comprehensive graphics library package... A simple rubber banding system of "you are guaranteed to get at least these versions of these APIs if you have OpenGL 4.6" would be helpful. It's not like there are space constraints on modern SSDs...
            Why on earth would OpenCL be in a "comprehensive graphics library package"?

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post

Why on earth would OpenCL be in a "comprehensive graphics library package"?
              Would it make more sense on a different planet?

Comment

Does anyone know of any features ogl is missing compared to <d3d12?
                gles3.2 is a weird one. All of sudden they've, seemingly, abandoned what I thought was the whole point of gles: provide as many features as possible with as silicon as possible(with a bias towards the later). I suppose they really only have to answer to the "consumers",and if everyone wants to have their emoji tesselated (that still requires a special functional unit, right?) who are khronos to deny them?

Edit: that should be "as LITTLE silicon as possible"
                Last edited by liam; 06-08-2016, 02:39 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Does anyone know of any features ogl is missing compared to <d3d12?
                  gles3.2 is a weird one. All of sudden they've, seemingly, abandoned what I thought was the whole point of gles: provide as many features as possible with as silicon as possible(with a bias towards the later). I suppose they really only have to answer to the "consumers",and if everyone wants to have their emoji tesselated (that still requires a special functional unit, right?) who are khronos to deny them?
                  When Google came out with the Android Extension Pack it became fairly popular to support, and GLES is just trying to pull that back into the official GLES spec.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                    It's kinda fun to see NVIDIA talking about Async Compute ... while neither their drivers nor hardware supports Async Compute/Graphics properly like AMD does >_>
                    nobody cares

Comment

Working...
                    X