NVIDIA vs. AMD OpenGL & Vulkan Benchmarks With Valve's Dota 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Should have tested 800x600 not something that's most likely GPU bound already like 4K.
    800x600 would be a nice addition, but would also be of no practical / gaming value. I appreciate 4k tests, cause if you go for AAA+Vulkan its likely a visual intensive game

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, at no point has Vulkn been advertised to lower CPU driver overhead at the expense of 4k performance, so testing at 4k is very much relevant.
      Nobody said that lower CPU overhead comes at the expense of 4k performance.

One of the major advantages of using Vulkan is the lower CPU overhead AND multithreaded command submission, which is something you are unlikely to see any gains in performance if you're testing a GPU-bound application. As you might guess, the higher the output resolution of your app, the most time the GPU will spend rendering therefore eclipsing any CPU overhead improvement, which is why people are requesting a lower resolution benchmark. I don't think people are asking Michael to ignore 4k, only to also test lower resolutions so that we can also compare the CPU overhead improvements.

Comment

Hello. you could play with this thing in opensource and propietary drivers in phoromatic.
        http://www.Geeks3D.com/GpuTest/ It supports Linux
        and I know that is not vulkan. but I think it would help opengl
        sorry for English

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          Should have tested 800x600 not something that's most likely GPU bound already like 4K.
          Useful for all those who play Dota 2 on a CRT screen.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, at no point has Vulkn been advertised to lower CPU driver overhead at the expense of 4k performance, so testing at 4k is very much relevant.
            Noone said "at the expense of", but you will surely get wider gains at higher overheads. It makes much more sense to test the more profitable scenarios considering it's an early implementation, far from being perfect.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I miss 1080p tests Isn't it the TV and PC more used standard now? And thanks for the cpu tests, but When a game GPUs + CPUs benchmark with best price /performance options that would suggest future buyers what is the best minimal CPU they must buy for the best GPU (an other budgeted) And for home made steam machines and OEM ones would be great. Does work well enough the new Nvidia 1080 with a cheap celaron for making a very affordable Steam Machine, or you need a more expensive AMD or Intel CPU?

Comment

The problem with 1080p is that many benchmarks show CPU limits, might be fine to compare against Vulkan if those are less important now but for many OpenGL tests you would need a highly OC CPU to see differences between GPUs.

Comment

This basically matches what I've been saying since DX12/Vulkan were first proposed: You get a rather significant decrease in CPU usage due to pushing most of the implementation to the developer, so lower-class CPUs in particular will see significant performance improvements. However, you basically replace a GPU driver side implementation that is typically very well optimized with one the developer creates, per title, which is more often then not going to be less then what NVIDIA/AMD could put together, reducing GPU performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mtcos View Post
                    Hello. you could play with this thing in opensource and propietary drivers in phoromatic.
                    http://www.Geeks3D.com/GpuTest/ It supports Linux
                    and I know that is not vulkan. but I think it would help opengl
                    sorry for English
                    Uhhhh you don't read enough Phoronix as I very often run GpuTest.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Guys I'll have more Dota 2 Vulkan tests later this week, been talking with Valve folks about some improvements in testing.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X