More Details About The Vulkano Library, Rust + Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    It's good that we spent all this effort creating a lower level API so people can use it for higher level languages...
    A higher level language able to do low-level stuff and behave as efficiently as lower level languages thanks to innovations in language and compiler design.

Comment

Sounds like the Vulkan specification and Vulkano need some time to become stable and predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        For Python, there is vkstruct: https://github.com/cheery/vkstruct/
        This is by the same person who made Spirthon last year (a Python to Spir-v compiler mockup). I haven't tried it myself since no Vulkan drivers for AMD are working on Arch the last time I checked.
        Has anyone tried using Cython with Vulkan considering standard Python is very high level?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post

Or Rust!
          I thought Rust programs couldn't match C nor C++ programs performance-wise, not due to any limitation imposed by Rust, but because of the state of the Rust implementation and the fact that it uses LLVM, which cannot produce code as good as GCC. It seems the last statement no longer holds, but how about the Rust implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Great, when can we have Pylkan?
            Heh, honestly for a while there i was considering creating such a thing. I was even starting to adapt my opengl xml registry parser to support the vulkan format. But at some point I stopped once i started digging into the format, and had some major annoyances with how certain things were stored which would make it somewhat more complicated to auto generate a python binding with the same code as the opengl generator. I made issues about those annoyances, and I just bumped them to see if they have anything else to say about them...

But with all that said for the record i think its probably not worth it for much other than the amusement of making a python vulkan binding :P

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

Has anyone tried using Cython with Vulkan considering standard Python is very high level?
              Well the only way i see that working out well is if you implement the renderer fully in cython. Trying to create a direct 1 to 1 binding that python calls into would probably be slow.
              If you implemented a library/mostly self-contained renderer that uses vulkan from cython it would probably work out fairly well.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                I thought Rust programs couldn't match C nor C++ programs performance-wise, not due to any limitation imposed by Rust, but because of the state of the Rust implementation and the fact that it uses LLVM, which cannot produce code as good as GCC. It seems the last statement no longer holds, but how about the Rust implementation?
                I haven't heard that, but it could be. In any case, the performance should still at least be comparable to C/C++, so there should be no reason not to write low level libraries in Rust.

Comment

Working...
                X