Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details About The Vulkano Library, Rust + Vulkan

Phoronix: More Details About The Vulkano Library, Rust + Vulkan

As covered back in March, Vulkano is a library pairing Rust with the Vulkan API for taking advantage of the Rust programming language's feature set while utilizing this new high-performance graphics API from the Khronos Group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, when can we have Pylkan?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      I think using Vulkan from Python wouldn't make sense, for Python (or typical Python implementations, at least) would likely trash the benefits Vulkan would bring (specially if the implementation is single-threaded). My impression is that the speedups for which one would consider switching from OpenGL to Vulkan are similar to the ones one could expect to get from switching from Python to C, and, thus, if one were so concerned with performance so as to invest the effort required to use Vulkan, one would likely go all the way and use C or C++.

… or was that irony?

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
        thus, if one were so concerned with performance so as to invest the effort required to use Vulkan, one would likely go all the way and use C or C++.
        Or Rust!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Any implementation for Python would likely just using Rust's Vulkano implementation. In fact, there's little reason to have libraries written in any language other than Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post

Or Rust!

Funny! Vulkano should only be used via a safe C wrapper!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post

Funny! Vulkano should only be used via a safe C wrapper!

Rust was designed because of "safe C wrappers"

Comment

wow. look at this trolling ...

Comment

For Python, there is vkstruct: https://github.com/cheery/vkstruct/
                  This is by the same person who made Spirthon last year (a Python to Spir-v compiler mockup). I haven't tried it myself since no Vulkan drivers for AMD are working on Arch the last time I checked.

Comment

It's good that we spent all this effort creating a lower level API so people can use it for higher level languages...

Comment

Working...
                    X