Some Early Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Vulkan Tests With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
    I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to purposely gimp Vulkan performance on Windows to make DX12 more attractive.
    They did the same thing with OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      This demonstrates really well the efficiency of the Linux kernel. Some high framerate OGL applications running on nvidia have managed to do it previously.

Looking forward to gaming on Vulkan where the lackluster OGL implementations won't hold Linux back.
      Yeah! Tbh I always imagined the gaming OS to be something that could be compiled from scratch for owner's architecture, at least partially — since NVidia has closed driver. Windows definitely can't be the gaming OS — the fact, that it is, is rather historical incident.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post

They did the same thing with OpenGL.
        They didn't. What they did was implementation of the default OpenGL drivers through DirectX. But no sane gamer would use Windows with default drivers, they of course would download the latest ones from the manufacter's site. And the manufacter don't care of DX vs OpenGL war, they do care to have better performance than opponent manufacters, so they won't do the same thing unless they want to go out of business.
        Last edited by Hi-Angel; 09 April 2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Vulkan on (i)OS(X) is 3rd party emulation layer on top of Metal.

It will perform worse in some scenarios (Cause binding model is less powerful/expressive on Metal), and we have not yet heard how will Apple treat apps using such "Vulkan".

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            This is NOT a great news: if Vulkan doesn't perform great on Windows less and less software houses are going to adopt it instead of DX12
            Well windows has always given less fps when you compare an (optimized) opengl version of a game. I think if you compared this with dx12 then dx would be even slower than vulcan on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
              Cannot find the article anymore but I've read about some developers complaining about the state of the shader compiler toolchain, labelling Vulkan as complete shit in the process and going Dx12 only as they apparently don't have the resources to support more than one render path in their game. Some people will always find their reasons.
              this thread is all about that. https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...ation-released

his "lack of resources" comes from complete "lack of knowledge" what SPIR-V is. SPIR-V has no optimizations and the poor sod understood that their shaders will work unoptimized. in Vulkan optimization is on SPIR-V to hw in driver because they know best how to optimize it. any generic optimization would be mediocre at best

also, it was not "some", it was "one" who completely misinterpreted whole picture
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 09 April 2016, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                It's the performance relative to DX12 that is the issue with regards to your point, not the relative performance between Linux and Windows.
                I simply assumed that Windows DX12 >= Linux Vulkan, because that's where the biggest development efforts are going to be.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The AMD Vulkan results are decent for Windows. I think NVIDIA has just stuffed their Windows Vulkan support somehow. Maybe they focused more on Linux to start with and will port over the improvements at a later date?

NVIDIA show allot of love to Linux users, wish AMD would do the same instead of releasing all these prototype CIK testing hybrid drivers that maybe will be released for all GCN one day in the distant future, crap....

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    The AMD Vulkan results are decent for Windows. I think NVIDIA has just stuffed their Windows Vulkan support somehow. Maybe they focused more on Linux to start with and will port over the improvements at a later date?

NVIDIA show allot of love to Linux users, wish AMD would do the same instead of releasing all these prototype CIK testing hybrid drivers that maybe will be released for all GCN one day in the distant future, crap....
                    The open source situation with AMD has improved immensely, and is moving forward in the right direction!
                    Nvidia's blob drivers are the crap here!

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      wish AMD would do the same instead of releasing all these prototype CIK testing hybrid drivers.
                      Just curious, what do you mean by "all these prototype drivers" ? We released *one* preview hybrid driver to get initial Vulkan support out in public.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X