No announcement yet.

Some Early Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Vulkan Tests With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to ars technica the gap between DX11 and OpenGL in Talos is in favour of DX11 where in phoronix's bench OpenGL is leading. Unless I'm missing something, something must be really wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
      According to ars technica the gap between DX11 and OpenGL in Talos is in favour of DX11 where in phoronix's bench OpenGL is leading. Unless I'm missing something, something must be really wrong here.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...rk-to-be-done/
      That article was right on the heels of launch day. There have been patches to both TTP and Vulkan drivers from both AMD and Nvidia. Michael even noted the performance improvement in late March. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-nv-glvk&num=2

Comment

A 1024x768 Medium/Low Settings Test would have been interesting to show case a CPU bound scenario.

Comment

I was not expecting Vulkan performance to be less than DX11 on Windows.
          Is DX12 worse than DX11 also?

Comment

The very first test surprised me the most. On my AMD card, opengl runs literally at 50% frame rate compared to d3d11, even under windows. (Linux opengl performance is the same as windows opengl performance.) This tells a lot about the generic, platform independent state of the AMD opengl drivers. Previously I thought it's just the renderer being slower.

Comment

Originally posted by triangle View Post
              I was not expecting Vulkan performance to be less than DX11 on Windows.
              Is DX12 worse than DX11 also?
              The vulkan renderer wouldn't yet be as optimized as either the DX or OGL renderers. Also, by their own admission, their game's rendering model doesn't quite fit that well into the way that Vulkan does things, it just isn't multi threaded in the right way

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

The vulkan renderer wouldn't yet be as optimized as either the DX or OGL renderers. Also, by their own admission, their game's rendering model doesn't quite fit that well into the way that Vulkan does things, it just isn't multi threaded in the right way
                neither is it implementing any memory allocation in how you're supposed to in Vulkan or handling shader compilation as it should. both are probably even more significant drawback since Talos is not really CPU bound game that would benefit significantly from multitheading

Comment

wow that is surprising indeed.

Comment

Thanks, looking forward to comparisons between DX12 - Vulkan - OpenGL and maybe even Metal.

Comment

Seems the Linux OpenGL and Vulkan performance are comparable, but on Windows the Vulkan performance is significantly worse. That is probably a the issue, but also an indication of something being wrong. Vulkan often will not improve much, and even be slightly slower with NVidia drivers, but it shouldn't be significantly slower.

Comment

Working...
                      X