Vulkano: Pairing Rust With Vulkan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Nobody gives a shit about rust and haskell. Stop with this hipster programming languages shit. C++ and Vulkan is the only binding that will be used.
    Rust? Too young to be significant, by at least a few years.

Haskell?
    Take Your drugs man. Its serious programming language for hardcore problems in CS. Distributed systems. Highly concurrent computing. Etc.
    https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry

Comment

Nobody gives a shit about rust and haskell. Stop with this hipster programming languages shit. C++ and Vulkan is the only binding that will be used.

Rust has real-world uses and it's a really great language. It doesn't let you get away with stupid, dangerous shit and overall produces safe code and segfaults are close to impossible without the use of unsafe blocks

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
        Tomaka has been working on this from day one.
        What's even nicer, compared to other programming languages implementations, with the help of the Rust type system it is actually memory safe and "thread"(Vulkan queues) safe.
        Tomaka makes sure that even the complicated synchronization between Vulkan Queues is made safe and efficient without users having to worry about it.
        Yeah, I was in the IRC that day and he was going at it right away. I was very impressed. His Glium API has also done wonders for me. Looking forward to using Vulkano.

Comment

Originally posted by SethDusek View Post

Rust has real-world uses and it's a really great language. It doesn't let you get away with stupid, dangerous shit and overall produces safe code and segfaults are close to impossible without the use of unsafe blocks
          Jesus christ, why don't you people stop replying to this troll?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            why don't you people stop replying to this troll?
            Agreed, I don't get it either.

Comment

Originally posted by SethDusek View Post
              Note 1:

In my opinion, it is partially a matter of whether the programmer is able to focus to write code that is valid irrespective of the programming language - C, Go, Python, Rust, or other. In order to be able to do this the programmer needs to understand where he/she is making or could be making programming errors. The magic of using any programming language is to condition the mind to automatically respect a subset of the rules of the programming language. It takes time and effort to partially learn this.

Note 2:

A language with an objectively computationally intensive compiler is harder to use by newcomers compared to a language with an objectively simpler compiler, because in case of the former it takes more time to write code that will be accepted by the compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Note 1:

In my opinion, it is partially a matter of whether the programmer is able to focus to write code that is valid irrespective of the programming language - C, Go, Python, Rust, or other. In order to be able to do this the programmer needs to understand where he/she is making or could be making programming errors. The magic of using any programming language is to condition the mind to automatically respect a subset of the rules of the programming language. It takes time and effort to partially learn this.

Note 2:

A language with an objectively computationally intensive compiler is harder to use by newcomers compared to a language with an objectively simpler compiler, because in case of the former it takes more time to write code that will be accepted by the compiler.
                Rust is a language that is very easy and much faster to write code in, but the initial learning curve is high. Although I agree with your assessment, you assume that all languages are equal in terms of their consistency, features, and code size. For instance, you wouldn't say brainfuck is a good language despite how little the compiler does. Brainfuck is incredibly difficult to write a simple Hello World program in.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
                  Rust is a language that is very easy and much faster to write code in, but the initial learning curve is high. Although I agree with your assessment, you assume that all languages are equal in terms of their consistency, features, and code size. For instance, you wouldn't say brainfuck is a good language despite how little the compiler does. Brainfuck is incredibly difficult to write a simple Hello World program in.
                  True.

Comment

If you are not interested in technologies or don't understand them, it doesn't make them "hipster".
                    So "hispter" that now Google, Facebook(FS + their own Mercurial source control server), Oracle(container stuff), RedHat(FS), Dropbox(used on server-side and client-side), Mozilla, etc... use it.

I pride myself in how careful I am with my C++ code but the world has proven over and over again that however good you might be in C/C++, you will still make mistakes.
                    There is nothing out there that achieves the goals that Rust does(that also explains why so many choose to implement system-critical components in Rust now).
                    Safety, abstractions, etc... without the runtime overhead(some might say that Java also helps with memory management issues, but even Java can't guarantee threads data-race safety, which Rust does by design, at compile-time).

Comment

Working...
                    X