The Community Has Already Taken To Experimenting With Vulkan Game Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Community Has Already Taken To Experimenting With Vulkan Game Engines

Phoronix: The Community Has Already Taken To Experimenting With Vulkan Game Engines

While Vulkan is still very young, many developers have already taken a stab at starting their own, community-based game engines using a Vulkan renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Delusional kids that have no idea what they're getting into. Please go back to javascript and leave game dev to the pros.
    Well, maybe they have fun doing it and learn something cool. Who knows, maybe they even figure out something cool somehow.

Comment

Delusional kids that have no idea what they're getting into. Please go back to javascript and leave game dev to the pros.
      People would have said the same thing about OS development when Linus first wrote his Kernel.

Comment

You're an asshole. How else do the curious learn?

Comment

Cool! The more people that gain experience, the more code and documentation that will exist, the more people that will gain experience. It circular.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Well, maybe they have fun doing it and learn something cool. Who knows, maybe they even figure out something cool somehow.
            i won't speak for all. but, if they can't figure out that using vulkan to make windows only solution doesn't make sense... nope, you can't expect anything from those

Comment

"Hey boss, let's take our Windows-only solution, spend a bunch of effort to make it use a cross-platform API, then keep running it only on Windows"
              "OK, that sounds like a good idea"

Maybe the plan is not to keep it Windows-only ?
              Test signature

Comment

Let me guess: U're one of the pros?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  "Hey boss, let's take our Windows-only solution, spend a bunch of effort to make it use a cross-platform API, then keep running it only on Windows"
                  "OK, that sounds like a good idea"

Maybe the plan is not to keep it Windows-only ?
                  even if that is so, then that is poor decision as hell where not much is to be expected from. late porting is almost always about sacrifices.

you either do cross platform from start or you do late porting. second one is always worse in terms of both, performance and amount of needed work. especially if some of your decisions you made later show as not really portable.

i do cp software for life and what i learned the hard way is that most important thing that will make you or break you is planning before you begin. if you fucked up there, amount of work can skyrocket. i don't even want to think when realization is that your tooling is not supported.

and funny thing about planning work is that you only suffer once for first project. next project you don't need to invest anything since things are more or less obvious
                  Last edited by justmy2cents; 27 March 2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I guess the question is whether developing as cross-platform from the start was possible if they were waiting for Vulkan rather than starting with OpenGL then having to do a late port to Vulkan anyways ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X