AMD Posts Initial AMDGPU Hybrid Driver With Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    What I mean is running within an OpenGL context. So devs would not need to replace all at once.
    that is not hybrid driver, that is nvidia extension

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
      Is there a specific place one can voice support for including GCN 1.0 support in AMDGPU? Because HD78xx, HD79xx and R9 2(7|8)0(x) hardware has aged pretty well as far as I can tell... In my perfect world, I'll get to run my 2xHD 7970 GHz. Ed. cards on Linux instead of Windows using the hybrid driver. Pretty please? =)
      I think we understand the desire well enough that more voices of support isn't going to make any real difference (I've never believed they make much difference at the best of times personally). Not sure if we'll be able to put enough time into it to do it all ourselves but I expect that between us and community it should be able to happen. We're trying to formalize some of that now.

Originally posted by osmotr View Post
      amd r9 290 with hp 2311x / lg 42lb620v result was "EDID checksum invalid" no go
      Did that HW combination work with different drivers ? Wondering if this is a function of enabling DAL (which AFAIK is on in the hybrid driver but not in upstream).
      Test signature

Comment

Man, everything I post is getting moderated.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Man, everything I post is getting moderated.
          you look suspicious

Comment

I think we understand the desire well enough that more voices of support isn't going to make any real difference (I've never believed they make much difference at the best of times personally). Not sure if we'll be able to put enough time into it to do it all ourselves but I expect that between us and community it should be able to happen. We're trying to formalize some of that now.
            uh, as a R9 270X owner, could you clarify this a bit? Worst case scenario, AMDGPU support will

a) not happen
            b) take a long time (maybe even only in 2017)

Comment

Worst case it will take a long time. It doesn't need anything from us, people are just hoping that we will do all the work

I'm thinking the initial support will be some combination of us helping with initial code and debugging into the closed components if needed, community devs/users help with testing & bug fixing so we don't have to go find a big pile of QA and dev resources we don't have today. Something like that.

Ideally in a usable state before the current round of 14.04.x HWE distros that Catalyst supports hit EOL in August, but that's tight.

We are trying to put a more detailed plan together now - I was hoping to finish this week but the hybrid driver launch interfered with that a bit. That's why I've been saying "ask again in a week".
              Last edited by bridgman; 19 March 2016, 01:34 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

It doesn't need anything from us [...]

[...]community devs/users help with testing & bug fixing[...]
                so, the current driver could already support GC 1.0 hardware but it's disabled because untested?

Sorry that I'm bugging your about that, and I really appreciate it that you're answering stuff here on a Saturday!

Comment

Should be enabled by default just like the current preview driver -- what I'm not sure about yet is how much QA coverage it will get. If you check post #32 above at least 1 user is running the stack on CI already.
                  1. Even with smaller test coverage, AMD will still fix bugs found by GCN 1.1 hardware owners - is that correct?
                  2. Where can we submit bugs? Upstream doesn't like bugs for experimental CIK support, so on the FDO website and to AMD directly?

Comment

Did that HW combination work with different drivers ? Wondering if this is a function of enabling DAL (which AFAIK is on in the hybrid driver but not in upstream).
                    I don't have any problem with radeon and fglrx drivers they work fine i didn't test with upstream driver of amdgpu yet
                    DAL don't identify the monitor and tv and stuck at 1068x768 i tried with ubuntu 14.04.4 and debian 8 (screens dead with IgnoreEDID option)

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                      so, the current driver could already support GC 1.0 hardware but it's disabled because untested?
                      CIK support is in the driver but disabled upstream by default. SI support is not in the driver yet, although one of our devs and one community dev have been doing some work on it. We're working out next steps now.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X