AMD Posts Initial AMDGPU Hybrid Driver With Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
    Nvidia have already released a cough stable cough Windows driver with Vulkan support, so I expect them to roll out a new Linux driver in the next couple of weeks (Beta drivers have been around since February). They still don't have working Xlib WSI support and don't even seem to care, considering that the bug has been reported over a month ago.
    That doesn't matter at all. Didn't you see all of the headlines? Nvidia had "Day 1 Vulkan support" and AMD didn't. Obviously Nvidia's driver was complete and functional and they didn't just put it out for headlines.
    /Big bucket of sarcasm

Comment

Not like anyone here cares, but we had day 1 Vulkan support for Windows too
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Congrats AMD Linux team on actually surprising cynics and rest of crowd Sounds you got everything under control and this really gives hope for solid AMD Linux graphics support in future.

Comment

Yeah, I think we're all just experiencing some anticipation anxiety. I'd say that the OpenGL performance is good enough, but personally I would love to see Vulkan annihilate it.

Comment

The driver just works for me on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 daily.
            I try two games for now: GRID Autosport and Saint's Row 4. The first just not work, it crashes when it's started. The second works, but it's still on average 10-12FPS.
            Ah, my GPU is a Radeon Fury X. Funny.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post

That doesn't matter at all. Didn't you see all of the headlines? Nvidia had "Day 1 Vulkan support" and AMD didn't. Obviously Nvidia's driver was complete and functional and they didn't just put it out for headlines.
              /Big bucket of sarcasm
              I think they have been busy porting Vulkan to current version of Nvidia driver. No need to turn this into AMD vs Nvidia every time.

Comment

Don't think we have any test coverage on 16.04 yet but that should change fairly soon. This release is really more about getting Vulkan out on Linux to encourage game development & testing. There has been some perf work on the OpenGL side internally but don't know if that made it into this release.
                Test signature

Comment

Don't think we have any test coverage on 16.04 yet....
                  Yes, this driver was tested only on Ubuntu 14.04.4. I'm interested in success stories on other distros and distro versions but I won't be surprised if it doesn't work. Actually, I'm surprised ale2695 was able to install it on 16.04 as modifications are required for 16.04.

Comment

it works with x 1.18?

Comment

Ask again in a week, OK ?
                      OK!

The Witcher 3 developer on talking to fans: "The worst thing is silence"

When someone tells me it's going to be at least X weeks/months, I can let it be. But if I hear nothing definitive, anxiety levels are rising.

Not that you can change anything about it... I and many others do appreciate your replies.

Comment

Working...
                      X