Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Bindings For Java Are Also Available Via LWJGL

Phoronix: Vulkan Bindings For Java Are Also Available Via LWJGL

After writing this morning about Mono bringing Vulkan bindings to C# / .NET, a Phoronix reader pointed out that Vulkan bindings for Java are also now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SInce Vulkan CAN hang up whole machine - it's very interesting how Oracle implemented it in it's virtual machines.
    WHo is responsible for Java standart anyway? There are 4 or 5 implementations.

Comment

It is not implemented in Java itself but in LWJGL library -- probably they just wrap Vulkan C API into java. Besides hanging up whole machine is not so very big achievement, simple openGL can make it as well

EDIT: typos

Comment

Nice! Both C# and Java now!

I wonder if it will come to scripting languages too such as Python, Ruby, Lua, and JavaScript.

Maybe Rust or Go?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Nice! Both C# and Java now!

I wonder if it will come to scripting languages too such as Python, Ruby, Lua, and JavaScript.

Maybe Rust or Go?
          I did a textured cube example in lua (luajit with ffi). I don't plan on maintaining and releasing it though so please no article like the previous two lol

generates luajit ffi bindings from c headers. Contribute to CapsAdmin/ffibuild development by creating an account on GitHub.

I think I did see some rust and go bindings on github. I'm guessing for static languages like rust and go it's probably enough to include vulkan.h through some c helper or at least copy paste and make some small adjustments to the header.

Comment

when do I get peek and poke codes for C-64 basic?
            C.64 basic runs almost everywhere unlike Java!

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

I did a textured cube example in lua (luajit with ffi).
              Looks cool. That is large amount of code needed it seems (which I guess is the point for flexibility). I currently teach OpenGL at university. I am not in any way looking forward to covering Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by nocri View Post
                It is not implemented in Java itself but in LWJGL library -- probably they just wrap Vulkan C API into java. Besides hanging up whole machine is not so very big achievement, simple openGL can make it as well

EDIT: typos
                OpenGL is NOT supposed to hang machine. It's supposed to have safeguards against it. Improperly implemented on Driver livel on OpenGL - is entirely different thing.
                Vulkan has no safety features, or much less of those. It's designed to give low level access to hardware. Java's ideology is against it all together. With OpenGL, java app that hangs whole machine - is exception, with Vulkan - it can be a rule.(unless some safeguards are implemented in Java, and that makes Vulkan as usefull as openGL)

Comment

Vulkan must not hang the machine either.
                  No (non-root) userspace application is allowed to do that, no matter if it uses OpenGL, Vulkan or whatever. The worst that /should/ be able to happen is that the application itself crashes.

If it's possible anyway, it's a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    OpenGL is NOT supposed to hang machine. It's supposed to have safeguards against it. Improperly implemented on Driver livel on OpenGL - is entirely different thing.
                    Vulkan has no safety features, or much less of those. It's designed to give low level access to hardware. Java's ideology is against it all together. With OpenGL, java app that hangs whole machine - is exception, with Vulkan - it can be a rule.(unless some safeguards are implemented in Java, and that makes Vulkan as usefull as openGL)
                    Huh ? There is no Java implementation of Vulkan ... Third party Java library (LWJGL) is wrapping its functions around Vulkan C API -- according to your sentence Java should not interact with processor because that code is in assembler and can hang it ? CPU and GPU can be hung by applications because of bugs in applications but also in drivers and firmware, no API (at least I hope so ) was created around the ideology to hang the system. In the case of OpenGL driver should prevent malformed code from execution (should make "dry run" first); in the case of Vulkan the driver should forbid access to memory of other processes and RESET GPU when GPU is hung by application (so no dry run here, but kind of throw exception/catch).

Comment

Working...
                    X