Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Should be VL_KHR_mirror_clamp_to_edge
    You mean VK_KHR_mirror_clamp_to_edge ? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      You mean VK_KHR_mirror_clamp_to_edge ? ;-)
      Yes, fixed the typo in my comment.

Comment

Originally posted by kmare View Post
        Murror murror on the wall, who is the fastest API of them all?
        PS4 API, about 60% gain over PC with equivalent specs.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

DirectX 12.. :P
          > slaps tessio to near death!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Can I code against the Vulkan API using C#, Python, Ruby or JavaScript?
            What'd be the point in Python? There's still a global interpreter lock, so draw calls would be single threaded, which means there's little downside to the OpenGL state tracking.
            Both Python & Ruby are slow anyway, have you any evidence to suggest the OpenGL API is the bottleneck for these languags?
            May be you could pass off things to a graphics engine and just use the scripted parts, for config and setup.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              PS4 is shader moder 5.1 = async_compute. Near +50% faster than standard physical rendering and the same as a pc with the same Radeon GCN and the equivalent game.

Anyway I propose to Gpu vendors an extra AI or Asic to convert 30fps gaming to 60fps after the final 2D image has created (like frame interpolation Youtube videos). The latency will be like 17ms.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                PC is not an API. This is like saying that cars are faster than vehicles.

Comment

Originally posted by rob11311 View Post
                  What'd be the point in Python? There's still a global interpreter lock, so draw calls would be single threaded, which means there's little downside to the OpenGL state tracking.
                  Both Python & Ruby are slow anyway, have you any evidence to suggest the OpenGL API is the bottleneck for these languags?
                  May be you could pass off things to a graphics engine and just use the scripted parts, for config and setup.
                  I was thinking that maybe Vulkan is a clean, easy-to-use, modern API and a good thing to learn?

And that maybe OpenGL is a complicated, cumbersome, inconsistent, weird API full of legacy warts?

But I really don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I was thinking that maybe Vulkan is a clean, easy-to-use, modern API and a good thing to learn?

And that maybe OpenGL is a complicated, cumbersome, inconsistent, weird API full of legacy warts?

But I really don't know.
                    I think it's the other way around. OpenGL manages more things for you so it's easier to develop for, whereas Vulkan gives you more control, but then you actually have to exercise said control.
                    This is probably why one of Nvidia 's first extensions is running Vulkan inside OpenGL. Similar to how you write C code, but when you absolutely must squeeze every bit of performance you write ASM functions inside the C code.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      PC is not an API. This is like saying that cars are faster than vehicles.
                      "PC" was the term used by the source. While technically you are correct that PC is not an API, when talking about PC gaming up to now this almost exclusively means Windows and DirectX 11, with newcomers DirectX 12, Vulkan and non-Windows operating systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X