No announcement yet.

Google Nexus Player Gets Early Vulkan Support, Imagination Has Open-Source Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Nexus Player Gets Early Vulkan Support, Imagination Has Open-Source Demo

Phoronix: Google Nexus Player Gets Early Vulkan Support, Imagination Has Open-Source Demo

There's two bits of interesting Vulkan news from the guys at Imagination Technologies...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is that an actual smiley in the news article?

Comment

You should not forget that Nvidia has new Android images with Vulkan support for devs too. I hope the next huger Android update will include it by default. That will increase the number of devices with Vulkan support pretty much. Btw. would like to see Android for x86-64 with Vulkan support - best would be if Linux could run those apps in a simple way.

Comment

Imagination seems to be living in the future and running PowerVR on a i5-2500K. (Probably a FPGA Softcore)

Imagination Technologies 2016-03-03 Vulkan_1_0
        GX6450
        GX6250
        CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K

Deploying and developing royalty-free open standards for 3D graphics, Virtual and Augmented Reality, Parallel Computing, Neural Networks, and Vision Processing

Comment

Originally posted by maligor View Post
          Imagination seems to be living in the future and running PowerVR on a i5-2500K. (Probably a FPGA Softcore)

Imagination Technologies 2016-03-03 Vulkan_1_0
          GX6450
          GX6250
          CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K

https://www.khronos.org/conformance/...rmant-products
          Many (all?) IP vendors create test silicon for their internal testing, that this may end up being a PCI card wouldn't be too surprising, then it would probably work in pretty much any desktop system.

And in my experience, only the smallest mobile GPU design would even fit on the largest available FPGA, and then run a fraction of the speed of 'early' test silicon.

Comment

Originally posted by kimixa View Post

Many (all?) IP vendors create test silicon for their internal testing, that this may end up being a PCI card wouldn't be too surprising, then it would probably work in pretty much any desktop system.

And in my experience, only the smallest mobile GPU design would even fit on the largest available FPGA, and then run a fraction of the speed of 'early' test silicon.
            I guess it makes sense now that I think about it. It might be difficult to sell the IP's if you don't actually prove it'll work in an ASIC. And probably helps the driver development too to have some real silicon to test against.

I'm personally just a beginner at the whole HDL, never mind serious silicon business. Such a different way of thinking to software programming.

Comment

It's a test chip integrated on a PCIe board like the one we've shown at CES.

Comment

Working...
              X