Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Company Joins Khronos, Working On Vulkan Support In Qt

Phoronix: Qt Company Joins Khronos, Working On Vulkan Support In Qt

Now that the server traffic levels are back under control... One of the interesting news bits following today's Vulkan reveal is that The Qt Company has joined The Khronos Group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love it when a plan comes together!

Comment

2d acceleration and toolkits strike me as places that could potentially really benefit from using Vulkan over GL.

Comment

End of the year is fin with me. Vulkan will probably be in a sort of experimental mode in distro releases for the next 6 months or so anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          2d acceleration and toolkits strike me as places that could potentially really benefit from using Vulkan over GL.
          If I remember correctly - qt includes already a opengl 3d renderer something. there were some news here about half a year ago. maybe they want to port that to vulkan and not the 2d part

edit: wow - time flys, it was almost 2 years ago...https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTcwMTc
          Last edited by tomtomme; 16 February 2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I love QT5. I've used it to do almost anything from GUI apps on desktops to Sailfish OS apps. This is really good news. I think QT5 and all the other 2d/accelerated toolkits can benefit in the performance area with Vulkan.

Comment

Wonder if Clutter will support Vulkan too, and if GTK+ will get a Vulkan context.

Also if SDL will support Vulkan.

Comment

GLFW already seems to support Vulkan. As for SDL, it'd be nice if it could provide an abstraction to create a Vulkan surface as well so that lazy developers like myself don't have to know what window system their application is running on. You can use SDL with pretty much anything, though - even D3D.

Comment

So... will there ever be 5.6 release?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    So... will there ever be 5.6 release?

I keep asking myself the same question. At this rate 5.7 will happen sooner

Comment

Working...
                    X