Here Are Your Vulkan Download Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
    again amd nothing care about linux, so much fan boys and defenders and haters against nvidia, always the same sh*t amd
    Right, mean old uncaring AMD moving to an open-stack-based Linux driver architecture right when Vulkan is being introduced. If they cared about Linux they would have stayed with Catalyst forever so they could ship Vulkan Linux support on day one.

I can't even type that with a straight face, let alone say it.
    Test signature

Comment

I'm willing to cut AMD some slack for a couple months, but NVIDIA seems to get more actually useful results in Linux except for those few show stopping driver bugs they keep releasing...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        again amd nothing care about linux, so much fan boys and defenders and haters against nvidia, always the same sh*t amd
        amd donated mantle to khronos. khronos backs open standards and is a crucial part for linux/android ecosystem
        amd opened up its gpus with gpuopen
        amd is opensourcing big parts of catalyst
        amd hires opensource devs

compare this to nvidias efforts

all this while amd is in financial trouble and laying off staff since years. you could interpret this as a desperate move to attract devs but the outcome stays the same. It benefits linux and the foss community a big deal.
        if you care for linux you care for opensource. If not you are using linux just like windows. I do not say everything has to be open source. All the entertainment stuff can stay closed. But stuff at the OS level should be open for various reasons (privacy, security, not-reinventing-the-wheel, collaboration)

Comment

Well, IP rights, NDA stuff, ... tricky situation.

The NVIDIA blob(!) is, as someone noted, an old version which has Vulkan enabled - probably their testing driver.

I'm sure AMD could also deliver some sort of (testing) driver with Vulkan support - but what's the benefit?

Having something that's kind of working in some cases or having something reliably working in most cases? I'm going with the latter and am buying AMD cards to support their open strategy!

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            amd is opensourcing big parts of catalyst
            Really? I remember only seeing some new code that wasn't part of Catalyst, but anyway it's great that they released it.

I'm not that worried about AMD not having Vulkan driver yet, because there aren't really any games that could use it.

I actually don't have much hardware that can run Vulkan yet: My Fermi card may get drivers later, my TURKS card will not get drivers (unless community makes them, which is not that likely) and my Haswell has only experimental support at the moment. Anything else that I have is too old for Vulkan anyway. Maybe its time to go shopping some hardware and AMD is a strong choice because of their new driver strategy.

Comment

Working...
            X