Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.0 Released: What You Need To Know About This Cross-Platform, High-Performance Graphics API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why all those bad reaction with Vulkan?

OK vendors do not all have validated drivers right now but as Michael explained it will greatly improve gaming on Linux in the next years.

Increased multitasking and portability sound great IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
      Well DX9 - DX11 destroyed OpenGL on PCs, but with DX12 MS made mistake -Win 10 only, so Khronos has one more try to win even on PC.
      I do agree with you on that. When MS released DX9, they backported it to win98se and NT4 SP4. Those OSes may not be important now, but they were when DX9 released. Now with DX12 MS chose the strategy of pestering people until until they can't stand it anymore to upgrade to win10. MS's DX9 strategy was certainly better for them than their current DX12 strategy. I think its been blowing up in their faces. Although they did get fairly decent win10 adoption, win7 adoption was better.

EDIT: Well, I'm not planning a new upgrade until I can get a Zen APU, but that is only assuming it performs. Otherwise I'll buy my first Intel Product since the Celeron 300A. And I'm a hardcore AMD fanboy, but if they can't get their shit together I will switch. I could be happy with an Intel APU using Iris with eDRAM. I'm not the only AMD fan that is getting tired of this, In fact I'm sure I've already held out longer than most other long time fanboys.
      Last edited by duby229; 16 February 2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Does this WL support in Vulkan means that someone can run WL on Nvidia HW now?

Comment

Maybe Is just me but reading Intel Vulkan driver code make me think an state tracker would actually be rather simple to implement for gallium drivers if LLVM is up to it of course, i may be terribly wrong so take it with a grain of salt

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            No, other changes are still needed, but it's all coming soon now....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              What is WL?

@Michael:
              ... Fiji, Iceland, Carrizo, and Fury graphics cards ...
              What is the difference between Fiji and Fury graphics cards?
              Last edited by drSeehas; 16 February 2016, 12:55 PM.

Comment

About the intel driver and plan, there is a complete post about it in the mesa ML:

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think this has very little to do with open source.
                  It's just that some people were posting all over the place that, because Vulkan is a lower level API, drivers will be much more simple and in particular will let AMD be on the same level with Nvidia for a change. That's still a possibility, if AMD actually releases a capable driver in the next month or two. But they're not there yet. So far, the picture is the same as each OpenGL release: same-day support from Nvidia, no same-day support from AMD.
                  I personally don't think same day support is that important. What AMD lacks is not fixed how soon their driver lands, but how it performs. If they improve things with their Vulkan driver, they certainly will get lot of attention when next upgrade cycle comes. Time imho is a bit irrelevant here - as long AMD doesn't stretch it out.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                    What is WL?
                    I'm guessing WL is WayLand.

Comment

amd didn't release driver for which there are zero games atm. let's cry

Comment

Working...
                      X