Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.0 Released: What You Need To Know About This Cross-Platform, High-Performance Graphics API

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by zanny View Post
    So we get dead links for Intel, no driver from AMD, more proprietary bullshit from Nvidia, and a PDF. Sounds like just another day in the Linux graphics shitshow.
    Stay tuned...
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #12
      And people wonder why sometimes open source community is viewed as toxic, lots of cheers on this board... First, AMD are in the middle of their driver restructuring....as long as they give clear timeline of providing Vulkan drivers, it's really not that big deal. Missed PR opportunity? Get a grip, this is no iPhone/Samsung S6 contest. Intel links will get fixed, because we know driver exists. Nvidia proprietary BS? Just a few extensions to help developers. It is up to devs to level the game. Vendors have to do their part.

      Comment


      • #13
        First game for Vulkan published, Talos Principle Beta https://steamcommunity.com/app/25751...7331651559970/

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by zanny View Post
          So we get dead links for Intel, no driver from AMD, more proprietary bullshit from Nvidia, and a PDF. Sounds like just another day in the Linux graphics shitshow.
          Oh I missed the pdf.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
            First game for Vulkan published, Talos Principle Beta https://steamcommunity.com/app/25751...7331651559970/
            As mentioned in my article, Linux is not part of that public beta yet. They still are working on the Linux and Android builds.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #16
              Here's the link to Intel's open source Vulkan drivers, which are a new branch in GIT. The link to GIT is dead right now, but I imagine it will be populated by the end of the day today.

              https://01.org/linuxgraphics/blogs/j...intel-hardware

              Comment


              • #17
                There is also a vulkan branch in mesa now: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=vulkan

                Comment


                • #18
                  I'm confused about AMD's Vulkan status. The German site computerbase.de is already offering the download of an AMD beta driver with Vulkan support (windows only, though). Why is it not listed on the slides shown in the phoronix article? Didn't it pass the conformance test?

                  Btw, it's no surprise that there's no linux version yet. AMD clearly stated before that it would be based on AMDGPU. And since Catalyst is not yet running on top of AMDGPU, we probably just have to wait for another few months.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                    And people wonder why sometimes open source community is viewed as toxic, lots of cheers on this board... First, AMD are in the middle of their driver restructuring....as long as they give clear timeline of providing Vulkan drivers, it's really not that big deal. Missed PR opportunity? Get a grip, this is no iPhone/Samsung S6 contest. Intel links will get fixed, because we know driver exists. Nvidia proprietary BS? Just a few extensions to help developers. It is up to devs to level the game. Vendors have to do their part.
                    I think this has very little to do with open source.
                    It's just that some people were posting all over the place that, because Vulkan is a lower level API, drivers will be much more simple and in particular will let AMD be on the same level with Nvidia for a change. That's still a possibility, if AMD actually releases a capable driver in the next month or two. But they're not there yet. So far, the picture is the same as each OpenGL release: same-day support from Nvidia, no same-day support from AMD.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                      I'm confused about AMD's Vulkan status. The German site computerbase.de is already offering the download of an AMD beta driver with Vulkan support (windows only, though). Why is it not listed on the slides shown in the phoronix article? Didn't it pass the conformance test?

                      Btw, it's no surprise that there's no linux version yet. AMD clearly stated before that it would be based on AMDGPU. And since Catalyst is not yet running on top of AMDGPU, we probably just have to wait for another few months.
                      If you actually read the presentations, you'll see AMD hasn't even submitted that driver for conformance review yet. Which means it's probably in a rather poor state still.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X