Croteam Reiterates Vulkan Intentions, Shows Off Screenshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
    dudes, really? U do see the pun don't you?
    Did you see my pun? Inception

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Explain? Do you suspect that it was rendered using OpenGL? I took it from the article that it was rendered using Vulkan. Is that wrong?
      It's wrong.

It was a joke - they added a "Vulcan" to their scene. Still rendered in OpenGL.

I suspect Michael didn't get it either. Sigh.

Comment

It a joke, now they might add vulkan api that's not the joke it's the screenshot that shows a vulcan looking robot doing the Vulcan salute with an vulkan logo on the chest.
        Vulcan isn't Vulkan.
        Is there really that many that never seen Star Trek?
        I like the humor.

Comment

LOL

On a serious note I really hope the first couple of games (DOTA2 and Talos Principle) are outstanding implementations which show off performance improvements on both Linux and windows. Important for PR.

Comment

These guys are always so serious :P

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Explain? Do you suspect that it was rendered using OpenGL? I took it from the article that it was rendered using Vulkan. Is that wrong?
              most likely yes, it is wrong.
              There'd be no way to move the engine to Vulkan in 5 minutes...

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset the Trekkies but I just didn't get it until it was pointed out. I always understood that Vulcan's are a fictional race of aliens. And I never could get my fingers to do what Leonard Nemoy could do. Obviously he set the example of what a Vulcan is.... But I had no idea that's what was being referenced until it was pointed out.

However, you can obviously see how an observer without prior understanding might get confused with the screenshot actually having a Vulkan symbol in it.

Comment

I can't quite tell if Michael was in on this joke when writing this or not, but it's funny either way.

Comment

Saavik: You lied!
                    Spock: I exaggerated.
                    Kirk: Hours instead of days! Now we have minutes instead of hours!

Comment

Maybe Michael should have posted the rest of the blog entry:

After seeing the first screenshot we weren’t quite convinced that was the support Khronos Group is looking for. We confronted Dean about it and asked him if he read the official specifications at all?
                      “No. Of course not! But it won’t stop me from speaking about it at this years GDC official Vulkan panel. And if you disagree, I’ll be available for questions after my lecture.”
                      Dean was equally straightforward about the time frame for the upcoming patch that will add Vulkan functionality:
                      Soon.”
                      We were terrified to ask anything else. But YOU could try.
                      As it is now, it looks like he really didn't get the joke...

Comment

Working...
                      X