The Official Vulkan Programming Guide Book Is Up For Pre-Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nadro View Post

Graham Sellers (IIRC he's a drivers architect at AMD) wrote a lot of great books related to OpenGL before. He has a lot of experience with OpenGL stuff.

Neither OpenGL Programming Guide nor OpenGL SuperBible is a "great book". They are decent as an overview of OpenGL but the amount of errors present in both books make them useless for anything else. And I don't just mean errors in some subtle concepts. They even failed to copy-paste the definition of quaternion from Wikipedia without errors...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Vulkan isn't some immediate, magical savior.
      You're only saying that because you know that nVidia is going to lose their lead. There is little doubt that on titles where the engine supports both Vulkan and OpenGL, Vulkan will be the clear winner. It's -not- magical, it's technological. It may not be a magic bullet, but it certainly will be a technical one.

EDIT: The legend of the hanging gardens I think is a good analogy. A freaking water screw seemed like magic to most people at that time, but it wasn't magic, it was technology.
      Last edited by duby229; 05 February 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post

Graham Sellers (IIRC he's a drivers architect at AMD) wrote a lot of great books related to OpenGL before. He has a lot of experience with OpenGL stuff.

John Kessenich is the editor of the GLSL specification, maintainer of glslang, among other things. He had been working at LunarG before Google bought his division (Valve bought the other division).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You're only saying that because you know that nVidia is going to lose their lead.
          A blog article with detailed information from Nvidia -- not AMD -- about Vulkan is indicative of how NVidia is going to "lose their lead"?

Where exactly is AMD's demo of Vulkan on Linux just yet? I've seen Valve employees personally show off Dawn of the Ancients under Linux using Vulkan on Intel hardware. I've seen Imagination show off gnomes under Linux using Vulkan on PowerVR. Nvidia itself showed off Vulkan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqensKmmRfE

Don't go counting your eggs before they are hatched. A new API doesn't absolve AMD of the responsibility to actually support its own hardware properly.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Made by AMD people? Hope not the same ones who maintain Catalyst.
            It's been publicly known for a long time that Vulkan was based off of AMD's Mantle API.

Comment

I hope they re-think the cover image... Vulkan is not opengl. :P

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

A blog article with detailed information from Nvidia -- not AMD -- about Vulkan is indicative of how NVidia is going to "lose their lead"?

Where exactly is AMD's demo of Vulkan on Linux just yet? I've seen Valve employees personally show off Dawn of the Ancients under Linux using Vulkan on Intel hardware. I've seen Imagination show off gnomes under Linux using Vulkan on PowerVR. Nvidia itself showed off Vulkan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqensKmmRfE

Don't go counting your eggs before they are hatched. A new API doesn't absolve AMD of the responsibility to actually support its own hardware properly.
                Why don't you quote my whole post? You take one sentence out of context, meanwhile the answer to your counter argument is in the post that you ignored!

EDIT: Anybody that thinks Vulkan will replace OpenGL is dead wrong. It's too entrenched, for a long time its been the only option on non-MS PC's. And that entrenchment is deep rooted across many different applicable fields where Vulkan won't penetrate. It's not going to be a replacement it'll be a displacement. And that displacement will certainly include gaming.

EDIT: In other words, it's like the hanging gardens legend. It may look magical, but it isn't.
                Last edited by duby229; 05 February 2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I think you're all wrong: Vulkan is indeed magic and our savior.

Comment

Would any programming guide be useful for anyone just learning how to program that understands the basics of programming?

Comment

Here's to hoping that they're keeping us waiting at the edge of our seats in order to announce something totally awesome alongside with vulkan's release (or release date) to bring more public attention to it and revive the interest of those who lost it while waiting past december.

I've got no interest in that book, if there's anything I've learned about learning to program, it's that 99% of all programming books are practically worthless unless you already understand the language and are looking to improve your coding technique within the language and add a few tricks up your sleeve you didn't know before.

You learn programming by doing, and for that you need a mix of simple explanations and simple code examples, that's it. Best in computer form (html is nice) so that you can copy in the code samples and make sure that they compile and do work before you start following that shit.
                      Last edited by rabcor; 06 February 2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X