Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Talks About Vulkan Shader Resource Binding

Phoronix: NVIDIA Talks About Vulkan Shader Resource Binding

A NVIDIA engineer has posted a blog post today concerning shader resource binding with the Vulkan API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They sure talk a lot about something that's not available yet...

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      They sure talk a lot about something that's not available yet...
      it technically is available... just not general release. Those that actually need to know about it (i.e. the developers that are implementing the engines) are currently busy implementing it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
        it technically is available... just not general release. Those that actually need to know about it (i.e. the developers that are implementing the engines) are currently busy implementing it.
        Does Nvidia give pre-release access to Vulkan drivers to anybody who asks for it and confirms some NDA, or is Nvidia selecting who to give the drivers to?

Comment

I interpret all these articles as indication that spec is technically finalized for real this time, so they are really going legal review and PR preparation - considering amount of money involved GDC is perfectly setup for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
            I interpret all these articles as indication that spec is technically finalized for real this time, so they are really going legal review and PR preparation - considering amount of money involved GDC is perfectly setup for this.
            Not necessarily. The spec is probably 95-99% finalized and implementors just make sure they have those parts covered. Even it was 50% finalized, it would still mean some things can be implemented and tested. And then there are extensions.
            My only hope is all this time is spent building a solid foundation and not in political games.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
              The spec has been officially confirmed to be set in stone since at least August 2015 (Siggraph), possibly even before that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

The spec has been officially confirmed to be set in stone since at least August 2015 (Siggraph), possibly even before that.
                nonono - read the article!
                this one https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...GDC-2016-Talks

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Does Nvidia give pre-release access to Vulkan drivers to anybody who asks for it and confirms some NDA, or is Nvidia selecting who to give the drivers to?

NVIDIA leaked their Windows Vulkan driver once, but it's completely useless without header files anyway.

Comment

It's nice of them to actually go technical, this time. Step by step, we get to learn more about Vulkan, which is nice.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

NVIDIA leaked their Windows Vulkan driver once, but it's completely useless without header files anyway.
                    Couldn't someone extract the symbols to make their own header file? I don't think they have obfuscated them.

Comment

Working...
                    X