Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Vulkan Talks Are Lined Up For GDC 2016

Phoronix: More Vulkan Talks Are Lined Up For GDC 2016

We are just over one month away until GDC 2016 kicks off in San Francisco where there will be many Vulkan API talks by different Khronos members...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't wait for the actual release. Hopefully it will be done by GDC.
    More importantly, we shall see some games using it.

Even more so, very interesting, how AMD will perform vs Nvidia when it comes to Vulcan.

Comment

Yes, GDC 2016 sounds plausible, since we're starting to see statements concerning games, game engines, and driver teams that their implementation is complete, and that they are waiting for the final GO!
      Well, we do also hear that "a vulkan port may be considered after the spec release". And a lot more of these, to be honest.

P.S : should "VuLkAn" be capitalized on the first letter?

Comment

"availability of product quality implementations"
        I wonder whether they want to lift the NDA and release the spec simultaneously with the release of a couple of Vulkan applications. I.e. Dota2 and Talos Principle

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Even more so, very interesting, how AMD will perform vs Nvidia when it comes to Vulcan.
          This could lead to some conspiracy theories! We all know NVidia's hardware is built to work extremely well with DX11/OpenGL... which is why it was losing fps instead of gaining it in the original DX12 tests compared to AMD (On the otherhand, AMD's gains mostly came from shitty DX11 drivers honestly...). Maybe it's the same with Vulkan, and since NVidia holds so much sway in Khronos, they're waiting until the new cards come out so NVidia has something to stand on?

kappa

(But for real Ark devs, where the fuck is our DX12 you promised. I got AMD you got GameWorks-aka-tesselation-everywhere I need that shit)
          Last edited by Daktyl198; 28 January 2016, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Just release the specification already.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

This could lead to some conspiracy theories! We all know NVidia's hardware is built to work extremely well with DX11/OpenGL... which is why it was losing fps instead of gaining it in the original DX11 tests compared to AMD (On the otherhand, AMD's gains mostly came from shitty DX11 drivers honestly...). Maybe it's the same with Vulkan, and since NVidia holds so much sway in Khronos, they're waiting until the new cards come out so NVidia has something to stand on?

kappa

(But for real Ark devs, where the fuck is our DX12 you promised. I got AMD you got GameWorks-aka-tesselation-everywhere I need that shit)

To be fair, NVIDIA lost, what, 1 FPS in the DX12 tests? And was still a few FPS faster then AMD? Sure, they didn't GAIN performance, but they remained faster overall.

Anyways, given NIVIDIA's outstanding OGL performance (remember: They support a LOT of companies that do work in OGL), I imagine they'd offer similar Vulkan performance.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                Just release the specification already.
                At this point the spec is well and truly done.

But it looks like Khronos wants a flashy launch with availability of drivers from all IHVs, availability of tools such as Valve/LunarG's Vulkan debugger, a couple of games (Dota 2 + Talos Principle) all to release simultaneously with a bang as they lift the NDA.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

To be fair, NVIDIA lost, what, 1 FPS in the DX12 tests? And was still a few FPS faster then AMD? Sure, they didn't GAIN performance, but they remained faster overall.

Anyways, given NIVIDIA's outstanding OGL performance (remember: They support a LOT of companies that do work in OGL), I imagine they'd offer similar Vulkan performance.
                  I'm sure NVidia's Vulkan performance will be great, hence the "kappa".
                  Btw, in those tests we're both referring to, NVidia was .5fps faster with no AA, and actually slower by a couple FPS with 4xMSAA.

Comment

Working...
                  X