AMD's Vulkan Driver Will Only Work With The AMDGPU Kernel Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

If you are claiming I said these things, please provide links. I have asked multiple times now.

If you don't know, and you're not psychic, why do you post statements claiming to know our plans and criticizing us for them ?

If you're just saying that in the absence of public statements people are going to make guesses that's fair, but (a) none of the vendors are saying much until the NDA lifts other than discussions with developers also under NDA, and (b) it doesn't explain why you keep repeating those guesses even after we have made public statements to the contrary.
    Your "statements to the contrary" is exactly what I'm telling you is the problem. Just wait and see the public outlash when Vulkan gets released with no GCN 1.0 support and "unsupported" GCN 1.1 support. It is going to backfire on you.

EDIT: I didn't guess anything at all. I made the suggestion that you guys need to get all GCN generations supported in amdgpu. That is not a guess. An out of tree solution is not acceptable. You need to work with the kernel team and figure out a solution. If it's too late for Vulkan's launch day, then that is squarely AMD's fault. You must have known for a long time now.

EDIT: Out of tree branches are fine for development and testing, but not for supported hardware. Get it upstream.
    Last edited by duby229; 23 January 2016, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• What the heck do you mean by "unsupported" GCN 1.1 support ? We're talking about the Catalyst replacement, out-of-tree drivers with closed source userspace. THE UPSTREAM DEFAULTS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT WE DEVELOP AND RELEASE OUT OF TREE !!!
      Test signature

Comment

• Now even really short posts are being moderated. I give up -- this just isn't worth the aggravation.

EDIT - think I see a pattern... it's posts that cross a page break which get moderated. Every time I see a yellow pane with my post in it there's also a "this post is on the next page click here" message above it.
        Last edited by bridgman; 23 January 2016, 07:45 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Your "statements to the contrary" is exactly what I'm telling you is the problem. Just wait and see the public outlash when Vulkan gets released with no GCN 1.0 support and "unsupported" GCN 1.1 support. It is going to backfire on you.

EDIT: I didn't guess anything at all. I made the suggestion that you guys need to get all GCN generations supported in amdgpu. That is not a guess. An out of tree solution is not acceptable. You need to work with the kernel team and figure out a solution. If it's too late for Vulkan's launch day, then that is squarely AMD's fault. You must have known for a long time now.

EDIT: Out of tree branches are fine for development and testing, but not for supported hardware. Get it upstream.
          Huh ? The Catalyst replacement (hybrid driver) was always going to be out of tree. We have said that multiple times.

Is there any chance you are confusing "upstream" with "enabled by default" ? We're pushing upstream very aggressively, but won't be able to enable by default until appropriate userspace has made its way into distro releases and onto user systems.
          Test signature

Comment

Now even really short posts are being moderated. I give up -- this just isn't worth the aggravation.
            Nothing I can do about the forum. Although I am right, I apologize for losing my temper. It's just one misstep after the next with AMD. and this one hits close to home because I bought a GCN card and recommended multiple because I knew it would get launch day support. Or at least I thought I knew.

Sorry. I will be more polite from now on. I hope you can at least try to understand. The drivers great, but OpenGL performance isn't. I have put a lot of hope into Vulkan. That feeling probably rubs you the wrong way. Again, sorry.
            Last edited by duby229; 23 January 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Nothing I can do about the forum. Although I am right, I apologize for losing my temper. It's just one misstep after the next with AMD. and this one hits close to home because I bought a GCN card and recommended multiple because I knew it would get launch day support. Or at least I thought I knew.
              You are still getting mad about future events though, and you are arguing passionately *against* approaches (like libdrm-amdgpu over radeon) that could help to give you what you are expecting (quick solution, upstream and enabled by default from the start), and getting angry with me for even discussing them.

BTW are you talking specifically about SI or CI ?
              Last edited by bridgman; 23 January 2016, 07:52 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

You are still getting mad about future events though, and you are arguing passionately *against* approaches (like libdrm-amdgpu over radeon) that could help to give you what you are expecting (quick solution, upstream and enabled by default from the start), and getting angry with me for even discussing them.

Exactly full circle back to the beginning. The more I look the more fractals I see. I might as well just quote my first post in this thread, because it would accomplish the same thing.

Comment

Well, after reading this thread, I'm personally convinced that if AMD doesn't support Vulkan on -all- GCN cards, there will be an explosive backfire. And I think bridgmans excuse of blaming it on linus is asinine.

EDIT: The exists a politically correct method and a different technically correct method. The chosen path is the politically correct one, but which is definitely not technically correct.

EDIT: So we've got multiple AMD employees saying multiple incompatible things. One says Vulkan will only work on amdgpu, another says only GCN 1.2 and up will be supported on amdgpu (and blames that on linus torvalds), another says amdgpu will support older GCN revisions out of tree eventually.....

Come on AMD. You can do better. (Fuck the out of tree bullshit. Fuck the blame game on linus bullshit.) Put -ALL- GCN support in amdgpu and get it upstreamed. If that requires removing GCN support from radeon, then that is exactly what it requires.
                  Maybe the swearing was uncalled for, ok sorry. But the points still hold.

--IMO--

Option 1) Get all GCN generations supported on amdgpu and then get that support upstreamed.
                  Option 2) I don't know how it would be done, but the radeon supported GCN generations can have support implemented and then get that support upstreamed.

I think you are suggesting that Option 2) is viable. However I believe Writer said that wouldn't happen unless someone or group from the community stepped up to do that. If I'm wrong and that's not what he meant, then Option 2) may well be viable. But then that still leaves another AMD employee that clearly said that only amdpgu would support Vulkan. So you can clearly see why I might have been confused.

Comment

I'm sorry, I had quite a long post that got eaten by the forum. It may still show up.

I'm not arguing against the proper interface on radeon. However an AMD employee clearly stated that only amdgpu would support Vulkan. You must clearly see the source of my confusion.

Comment

• I'd much rather have an edit timeout than a moderation que. I know the new system formats the pages better, but dang...

Comment

Working...
                      X