NVIDIA Blogs About The Beauty Of Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Look AMD screwed up Mantle, everyone knows this.
    Please enlighten us with your infinite wisdom and expertise as in what way did they "screw up mantle"

Or are you just been a moron ?

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

You already know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Please enlighten us with your infinite wisdom and expertise as in what way did they "screw up mantle"

Otoh, do you think Mantle was ever supposed to be a (very) short lived, Windows-only technology?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

What exactly is there to refute you third-grade d-bag? A guy at Nvidia who clearly knows a hell of a lot more about technology that you ever will posts a very interesting blog about their development efforts to support Vulkan. That even includes some very nice development tools to help software developers -- you know, the people who actually work really hard to develop all those games that you think you are entitled to for free -- port from OpenGL to Vulkan. As somebody who has actually written software, that sounds like a very nice service from Nvidia.

In response, you post a histrionic hate-speech rant about Nvidia. I swear to God if you just took out the word "Nvidia" and filled in the blanks with a few other phrases I couldn't tell the difference between your so-called "arguments" and the hate-filled noise from a KKK rally.

Tell you what: Make a life choice, either stop being hate-filled bigot or ship off to Syria where you can live amongst your own kind.
          Damn, that's a lot of pent-up anger you have there. How much does a therapist cost? I'll pay it for you, since you obviously need it.

Comment

Just before Godwin's law takes effect, I'd like to point out that most of the reasons people end up arguing is because argument X is idealist and argument Y is an explanation of what the reality is. X doesn't like reality and so gets annoyed. Y gets annoyed with X's evangelism.

</thread>

Comment

New API is probably really big change, even DX12 is progressing slowly, i expected something else.. Win10 are out almost half a year and we still dont have any DX12 game or engine, nothing.
              In case of Vulkan it is much worse and especially on Linux it would be probably disaster, if there will not big push from Google to Android and after that some reuse their for work for desktop Linux..
              But im not sure if its possible, Metal Gear Rising release for Android proven that even OpenGL / ES on Android is slow - regarding of Digital Foundry, on much better Shield TV console HW is game, slower than on 10 years old Xbox 360.

Comment

It's funny how quickly people get worked up over opinions. They mix different issues into a singular concept that may have nothing to do with the comprising issues. The issues therefore go unaddressed. The conversation then goes into a tit-for-tat that basically is unending.

AMD/ATI has pushed architecture and engineering design very far in terms of computing. Intel maximized the architecture engineering designs from AMD and made a load a profit. Nvidia did the same but they contributed a lot of things in higher level software. I really respect AMD's core engineering team members over the years and the contributions over the last 20 years to computing in general. The greatest innovations and collaboration truly came from that company.

The people that have archieved fame or infamy, at some level deserve respect because they're not sitting in some geek forum devolving their lives for the sake of argument. Do something meaning with your time.

Comment

The extensions do sound a little worrisome. It all depends on whether they'll be open or proprietary, though. People are getting worked up because in case of the latter, we may start having programs/games that only run on NVIDIA hardware. Though I suppose there's little danger in this particular case, as a translator doesn't sound very difficult to write. Though it's a bit of approaching the problem from the other way. It's like running Wayland in an X session: pretty nice for development, but useless for actual users, whereas XWayland is in fact useful.

Comment

One of the main things people wanted out of Vulkan was an end to GLSL because of how differently each driver compiled it, and how many things were left undefined - and therefore different - across vendors. Hence, SPIR-V.

So it's a little disappointing that NVidia is doing this. They've got the defacto GLSL compiler, though, so it makes perfect sense for them. I can see why developers might want to use it, too, so I don't think it's fair to view this entirely as a cynical ploy by NVidia. They're just trying to bridge the gap between GL and Vulkan as much as possible. The problem is that GL sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      One of the main things people wanted out of Vulkan was an end to GLSL because of how differently each driver compiled it, and how many things were left undefined - and therefore different - across vendors. Hence, SPIR-V.

So it's a little disappointing that NVidia is doing this. They've got the defacto GLSL compiler, though, so it makes perfect sense for them. I can see why developers might want to use it, too, so I don't think it's fair to view this entirely as a cynical ploy by NVidia. They're just trying to bridge the gap between GL and Vulkan as much as possible. The problem is that GL sucks.
                      If they really would have wanted to help the developers, they could have made the glsl compiler available outside of the driver. They won't of course, as that would allow it to be used to compile shaders for non-Nvidia hardware.

What you see here is the birth of Nvulkan. The Way It's Meant to be Played™.

Comment

Working...
                      X