Khronos Confirms No Vulkan For This Year + Some Exclusive Phoronix Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Confirms No Vulkan For This Year + Some Exclusive Phoronix Details

Phoronix: Khronos Confirms No Vulkan For This Year + Some Exclusive Phoronix Details

My article this morning about Vulkan Looks All But Confirmed For 2016 Launch turned out to be spot-on and there will be no Vulkan API release in 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Legal reviews are a pain and might take time but at least we know that vulkan is on it's way.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Legal reviews are a pain and might take time
      so you think that making conformant driver is easier part?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        The point of Vulkan is supposed to be placing most driver functionality into the applications. Drivers should be made fast, easily and they will be simple. At least that's what we've been hearing since the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

The point of Vulkan is supposed to be placing most driver functionality into the applications. Drivers should be made fast, easily and they will be simple. At least that's what we've been hearing since the beginning.
          Yes, we've been told Vulkan driver is simple, elegant compared with OpenGL. I hope open source drivers catch up quickly in vulkan than OpenGL. It should be technically possible to implement OpenGL on top of Vulkan, so that different GPU Vendors only need to develop Vulkan drivers, something like wayland supporting X window I guess.

Comment

How did you come to that conclusion from my comment?

Comment

I guarantee the drivers already exist.

Comment

The Vulkan conformance tests are being finalized
                YES! Now l want to see developers bitching about other people's implementation of a graphics API.

Comment

Get ready to take some Vulkan punches next year

Comment

Off Topic: AMD Crimson driver 15.12 is out: http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s=Linux+x86_64

On the release notes the only resolved issue is "Ubuntu 15.10 fails when building the .deb packages". In the supported products tab, the HD5000 e HD6000 series are still there.
                    Last edited by M@GOid; 18 December 2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X