Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Tech Wants To Teach You About Vulkan

Phoronix: Imagination Tech Wants To Teach You About Vulkan

Imagination Technologies is going to host a series of online classes/webinars to teach those interested more about the Vulkan API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one who see recent events as confirmation for October release of Vulkan?

Comment

Nice, a seminar about something thats not even finished.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Why not?

Or rather why it would be any other way? We need devs to use Vulkan ASAP. Delaying introducing materials about Vulkan till its released is counter productive.

Though I still do think that by the time this seminar go live Vulkan will be finished

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          It's probably pretty much finished at this point. Since it's coming out within two months max.
          And we know all 3 graphics vendors have their drivers working with it in house. Well enough to run Dota2 and other test apps made by Khronos members...

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            It's probably pretty much finished at this point. Since it's coming out within two months max.
            Maybe, but maybe not.

Comment

My belief is that they're holding off on releasing the specification so they can build up a good marketing push. Let's say it was released tomorrow - so what? Are there anything that would actually make use of it. It's already announced, so we know it's coming so there's no point in releasing it until there's something tangible there. They will probably also want multiple vendors on board with day 1 driver support and some of those vendors may not be ready as well. I suspect when it's released, it will be a huge drop with multiple applications supporting it (certainly DOTA 2 and CS:GO will be there, but I'd like to see at least one more from a different vendor) and day 1 support from Nvidia, AMD, Intel, and at least one mobile GPU maker (most likely Imagination Technologies).

The same goes for SteamOS. There were quite a few AAA Linux titles announced in the SteamOS sale this past spring - I wouldn't be surprised if they drop Nov 10 along with the official launch of SteamOS, the Steam controller, Steam Link, and various Steam machines. If Valve wants to make a huge splash, that would be it (other than releasing HL3 as a timed exclusive...).

Comment

If they really want to impress me they need to demonstrate real Linux support.

Comment

I have a feeling the "by the end of 2015" statement will be pushed to its limits, with the API coming in the middle of December. There's always so many little things that go wrong right before a big release.

Comment

Either way I can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                    X