X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    in other words, like dx10 games did not exist until end of winxp life, dx12 games will not exist for many years
    Wrong. Windows 10 will not be a repeat of XP -> 7. Most people will be switching over to 10 over the next few months due to it being a free upgrade and it being piped through windows update. Besides the major engine vendors are basically supporting all APIs the only question is whether games themselves will actually expose the alternative render modes.

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    No, but still in unreal engine on a released windows version. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...2_version_now/

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille View Post

For this they have to hurry. D3D12 is already released
    on win7 lol?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post
    Going forward it will only be used on Android and Linux.
    only on platform which has majority of installed base? give me two

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

"We" as in Linux gamers I guess. Direct3D12 is already in full marketing force, holding dev sessions and introductions and such. Anyone with a previous Win version can download Windows 10 and start hacking away with it.
    in other words, like dx10 games did not exist until end of winxp life, dx12 games will not exist for many years

Leave a comment:

• castlefox
    replied
    I am very excited for Vulcan to get rolling. Hopefully the open source drivers for Vulcan will fair better than the OpenGL OS drivers. I see a large boost to Vulcan being android adoption.

Leave a comment:

• cutterjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

No. There are only CUDA drivers by NVidia for OSX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
    Ever since its inception, there has never been graphics drivers for OSX by any other than Apple themselves (speaking, obviously, only about real hardware, not emulated GPUs in some virtual machine solution).
    And since all GPU manufacturers want to have their GPUs in upcoming Macs, neither will want to piss off Apple. So no Vulkan under OSX until Apple wants it.
    i believe that there exist desktop drivers as well as the cuda drivers. osx ships with intel/ati/nvidia drivers baked in each major release but i've never seen them updated unless apple releases a new mac with a new unsupported gpu.

i was surprised as well to find that nvidia still really did make osx drivers when i built my first hackintosh. i stuck with the apple drivers as the nvidia ones seemnto be of lower quality than the linux/windows ones.

i'm guessing nvidia does this for the handful of macs that have realistically swappable gpus, a fast shrinking demographic, so i fully expect they'll probably end the series at some point.

Leave a comment:

• johnc
    replied
    Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    No. There are only CUDA drivers by NVidia for OSX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
    Ever since its inception, there has never been graphics drivers for OSX by any other than Apple themselves (speaking, obviously, only about real hardware, not emulated GPUs in some virtual machine solution).
    And since all GPU manufacturers want to have their GPUs in upcoming Macs, neither will want to piss off Apple. So no Vulkan under OSX until Apple wants it.
    They're out there: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...ts.aspx/88663/

They're the only drivers to allow Maxwell support on, e.g., Hackintoshes... since OS X drivers don't have Maxwell support.

But yeah, nvidia does it because these drivers are required for CUDA.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
    And OS X most likely will get Vulkan support via third party drivers from Nvidia and AMD.

Yes....then what's keeping driver vendors from shipping OpenGL 4.5 on OSX?

Leave a comment:

• dragorth
    replied
    Originally posted by johnc View Post

Yeah but we have engines now that support DirectX and OpenGL and game developers aren't targeting OpenGL. Maybe for Unity that's the case, since their tools make it easy to build Mac and Linux games. But, e.g., on Windows just about everything is DX. Everything. Even Unity games.

And from what I've been seeing, it just seems like the entire PC game development industry -- sans Valve -- is talking DX12. And the Mac industry is talking Metal.

The difference here is the Windows OS support. DX12 supports Windows 10, period. But most users are on Windows 7/8/8.1. Vulkan will support all of those, so if they get it out fast enough, they will have a huge advantage in these engines. If Windows 10 gets huge adoption, then Vulkan loses that advantage.

OpenGL never had that advantage. While games target DX9 still, they don't do this due to Windows XP support, they do this because that is the guaranteed lowest common denominator on all Windows systems since Vista. Even Windows 10 still supports DX9 hardware as a minimum requirement. So, OpenGL has been competing with DX9/10/11, with advantage of working on a few Windows XP PCs, when game devs have been focusing on newer hardware, and those using XP on newer hardware are few and far between.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X