Khronos Debuts OpenGL ES 3.2 & New GL Extensions, But No Vulkan This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    No. There are only CUDA drivers by NVidia for OSX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
    Ever since its inception, there has never been graphics drivers for OSX by any other than Apple themselves (speaking, obviously, only about real hardware, not emulated GPUs in some virtual machine solution).
    And since all GPU manufacturers want to have their GPUs in upcoming Macs, neither will want to piss off Apple. So no Vulkan under OSX until Apple wants it.
    They're out there: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...ts.aspx/88663/

They're the only drivers to allow Maxwell support on, e.g., Hackintoshes... since OS X drivers don't have Maxwell support.

But yeah, nvidia does it because these drivers are required for CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

No. There are only CUDA drivers by NVidia for OSX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html
      Ever since its inception, there has never been graphics drivers for OSX by any other than Apple themselves (speaking, obviously, only about real hardware, not emulated GPUs in some virtual machine solution).
      And since all GPU manufacturers want to have their GPUs in upcoming Macs, neither will want to piss off Apple. So no Vulkan under OSX until Apple wants it.
      i believe that there exist desktop drivers as well as the cuda drivers. osx ships with intel/ati/nvidia drivers baked in each major release but i've never seen them updated unless apple releases a new mac with a new unsupported gpu.

i was surprised as well to find that nvidia still really did make osx drivers when i built my first hackintosh. i stuck with the apple drivers as the nvidia ones seemnto be of lower quality than the linux/windows ones.

i'm guessing nvidia does this for the handful of macs that have realistically swappable gpus, a fast shrinking demographic, so i fully expect they'll probably end the series at some point.

Comment

I am very excited for Vulcan to get rolling. Hopefully the open source drivers for Vulcan will fair better than the OpenGL OS drivers. I see a large boost to Vulcan being android adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

"We" as in Linux gamers I guess. Direct3D12 is already in full marketing force, holding dev sessions and introductions and such. Anyone with a previous Win version can download Windows 10 and start hacking away with it.
          in other words, like dx10 games did not exist until end of winxp life, dx12 games will not exist for many years

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Going forward it will only be used on Android and Linux.
            only on platform which has majority of installed base? give me two

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

For this they have to hurry. D3D12 is already released
              on win7 lol?

Comment

No, but still in unreal engine on a released windows version. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...2_version_now/

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  in other words, like dx10 games did not exist until end of winxp life, dx12 games will not exist for many years
                  Wrong. Windows 10 will not be a repeat of XP -> 7. Most people will be switching over to 10 over the next few months due to it being a free upgrade and it being piped through windows update. Besides the major engine vendors are basically supporting all APIs the only question is whether games themselves will actually expose the alternative render modes.

Comment

Working...
                  X