Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Preparing For Their First Vulkan Extension

Phoronix: Microsoft Preparing For Their First Vulkan Extension

While the Vulkan high performance graphics and compute API is backed by many vendors, Microsoft and Apple are two notable organizations that haven't backed this Khronos Group standard. For Microsoft's part, they obviously prefer their in-house Direct3D. However, Microsoft is making preparations for submitting their first Vulkan extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just from the headline i was pretty sure that it would be an extension that more or less solely benefits their WSL-Stuff. I'm cautiously surprised that it would also help the other big vendor that insists on using a proprietary graphics-API instead of following the standards. Or would that also be beneficial for managing radv/amdvlk for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
      Or would that also be beneficial for managing radv/amdvlk for example?
      It explicitly says there that the extension does not help when there's two drivers for the physical device, so no, it doesn't affect the radv/amdvlk situation. That one is already handled with environment variables though.

Comment

I am again amused by the choice of abbreviation. MSFT sounds like a misfit to me. Especially seeing that the full name MICROSOFT is 1 letter shorter than the existing RASTERGRID. If the length of the full name of the extension is of concern, just MS is better than the misfit.

Comment

EEE time?

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
            I am again amused by the choice of abbreviation. MSFT sounds like a misfit to me. Especially seeing that the full name MICROSOFT is 1 letter shorter than the existing RASTERGRID. If the length of the full name of the extension is of concern, just MS is better than the misfit.
            They are a > $2T USD market cap public company. Seems logical to use their stock symbol to me, and less ambiguous than MS. FB was also the stock symbol before META.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
              And Microsoft sounds like they are either a small software company or making small software. Let's not nitpick here.

Comment

Is this for XBox pc game ports?
                Because Xbox is the only device that can only run dx12, I don’t see how it could be an interesting use case otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  Is this for XBox pc game ports?
                  Because Xbox is the only device that can only run dx12, I don’t see how it could be an interesting use case otherwise.
                  This is only for platforms that have a native Vulkan driver, plus a virtual Vulkan driver (built on top of DX12, as an example).

So if xbox is dx12 only, it would not use this at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                    Just from the headline i was pretty sure that it would be an extension that more or less solely benefits their WSL-Stuff. I'm cautiously surprised that it would also help the other big vendor that insists on using a proprietary graphics-API instead of following the standards. Or would that also be beneficial for managing radv/amdvlk for example?
                    Nailed it and beat me to it.

All their contributions to mesa and open source, their only purpose is to serve themselves, making sure Linux remains in secondary position. Microsoft only loves themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X