Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental RADV Vulkan Video Decoding For VP9

Phoronix: Experimental RADV Vulkan Video Decoding For VP9

David Airlie has managed to get some early code in place for handling VP9 video decoding with Vulkan using the Mesa RADV driver. This early Vulkan Video VP9 support also is accompanied by an FFmpeg branch supporting this experimental Mesa extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, but more importantly does it support H.264 and AV1?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Great, but more importantly does it support H.264 and AV1?
      https://airlied.blogspot.com/2023/02...-anv-radv.html there is talked about AV1 and H265. "The radv h264/h265 support has been merged to mesa main branch. It is still behind RADV_PERFTEST=video_decode flag, and should work for basics from VI/GFX8+. It still has not passed all the CTS tests."

Av1 is not merged yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

https://airlied.blogspot.com/2023/02...-anv-radv.html there is talked about AV1 and H265. "The radv h264/h265 support has been merged to mesa main branch. It is still behind RADV_PERFTEST=video_decode flag, and should work for basics from VI/GFX8+. It still has not passed all the CTS tests."

Av1 is not merged yet.
        Also note that Vulkan only has an extension for h.264 and h.265. anything else is "unofficial"

Comment

That's great!
          I hope to see AV1 supported this year too.
          I wonder WTF is Khronos waiting for to make the VP9 and AV1 official?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            That's great!
            I hope to see AV1 supported this year too.
            I wonder WTF is Khronos waiting for to make the VP9 and AV1 official?
            They are banging away at it, so you can expect it later this year, since AV1 hardware decoders are now shipping in the newest GPUs.

Comment

The old me would have thought this is a waste of time, especially when Khronos has started work for VP9 and AV1 (and finished with h.254/h.265). Today I just believe that this experimental code is good practice to implement the future code that will replace this experimental code, or maybe just maybe.. reuse it.

Comment

And when are browsers going to use this?!

Comment

Looking forward to AV1 encoder code in radv + ffmpeg and then OBS using that. VAAPI takes forever to materialize.

Comment

wish I could test this, but polaris -_-

Comment

Working...
                    X