• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    nobody uses that codecs IRL. see the torrent/DL sites
    The most used video platform, Youtube, uses AV1 pretty widely.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
    It's absolutely disgraceful that they didn't focus on the royalty-free open video standards first. It should have been the other way around. First support AV1 and VP9, and deal with the patent-encumbered and royalty-laden standards later.
    Wouldn't focusing on the patent-encumbered stuff first be sort of like Cisco's OpenH264 module for Firefox? Relying on your GPU vendor to buy a decoding license so you don't have to either pay again or futz around with technically-illegal packages on your Fedora?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    considering many streaming sites are already serving AV1 and VP9, I would majorlyy disagree, unless your IRL is strictly piracy, in which case its a small subset too

Leave a comment:

• SuitedUpDev
    replied
    Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

From the article: "The Khronos Group also highlighted the beta drivers available from NVIDIA and AMD"
    Oh wow! I stand corrected (I totally missed that in the article). But I am genuinely surprised that NVIDIA built support for this into their drivers, even going back all the way to Maxwell.

This is genuinely a step forward into the right direction (a unified video decode and encode path for Linux).

Leave a comment:

• sl1pkn07
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SteamPunker
    replied
    It's absolutely disgraceful that they didn't focus on the royalty-free open video standards first. It should have been the other way around. First support AV1 and VP9, and deal with the patent-encumbered and royalty-laden standards later.

Leave a comment:

• dlq84
    replied
    Originally posted by SuitedUpDev View Post

Tbh, I kinda doubt it and I kinda wish it could be. Given the standpoints of certain vendors (read; NVIDIA) of not supporting VA-API but instead doing their own thing (VDPAU). I expect a similar situation as it is right now. Intel, AMD ( / Radeon) and some of the smaller vendors like Qualcomm and MediaTek embracing Vulkan Video but NVIDIA refusing to do anything except the things they put forth themself.
    From the article: "The Khronos Group also highlighted the beta drivers available from NVIDIA and AMD"

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    interesting how this goes, but IMO I see most apps sticking with vaapi

Leave a comment:

• dlq84
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Time to throw away VAAPI and embrace vulkan video?
    Not yet, there's no encoder support.

Leave a comment:

• jrch2k8
    replied
    Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Time to throw away VAAPI and embrace vulkan video?
    not for 6 months at least, bunch of patches all around waiting merge from several projects

Leave a comment:

Working...
X