Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan SDK Updated With Vulkan Video Support

Phoronix: Vulkan SDK Updated With Vulkan Video Support

The Khronos Group with LunarG has now published the Vulkan SDK 1.3.239 release that is the first version of the software development kit with the Vulkan Video extensions now present...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time to throw away VAAPI and embrace vulkan video?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
      Tbh, I kinda doubt it and I kinda wish it could be. Given the standpoints of certain vendors (read; NVIDIA) of not supporting VA-API but instead doing their own thing (VDPAU). I expect a similar situation as it is right now. Intel, AMD ( / Radeon) and some of the smaller vendors like Qualcomm and MediaTek embracing Vulkan Video but NVIDIA refusing to do anything except the things they put forth themself.

Comment

not for 6 months at least, bunch of patches all around waiting merge from several projects

Comment

Not yet, there's no encoder support.

Comment

interesting how this goes, but IMO I see most apps sticking with vaapi

Comment

Originally posted by SuitedUpDev View Post

Tbh, I kinda doubt it and I kinda wish it could be. Given the standpoints of certain vendors (read; NVIDIA) of not supporting VA-API but instead doing their own thing (VDPAU). I expect a similar situation as it is right now. Intel, AMD ( / Radeon) and some of the smaller vendors like Qualcomm and MediaTek embracing Vulkan Video but NVIDIA refusing to do anything except the things they put forth themself.
              From the article: "The Khronos Group also highlighted the beta drivers available from NVIDIA and AMD"

Comment

It's absolutely disgraceful that they didn't focus on the royalty-free open video standards first. It should have been the other way around. First support AV1 and VP9, and deal with the patent-encumbered and royalty-laden standards later.

Comment

nobody uses that codecs IRL. see the torrent/DL sites

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

From the article: "The Khronos Group also highlighted the beta drivers available from NVIDIA and AMD"
                    Oh wow! I stand corrected (I totally missed that in the article). But I am genuinely surprised that NVIDIA built support for this into their drivers, even going back all the way to Maxwell.

This is genuinely a step forward into the right direction (a unified video decode and encode path for Linux).

Comment

Working...
                    X