Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
    nobody uses that codecs IRL. see the torrent/DL sites
    considering many streaming sites are already serving AV1 and VP9, I would majorlyy disagree, unless your IRL is strictly piracy, in which case its a small subset too

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
      It's absolutely disgraceful that they didn't focus on the royalty-free open video standards first. It should have been the other way around. First support AV1 and VP9, and deal with the patent-encumbered and royalty-laden standards later.
      Wouldn't focusing on the patent-encumbered stuff first be sort of like Cisco's OpenH264 module for Firefox? Relying on your GPU vendor to buy a decoding license so you don't have to either pay again or futz around with technically-illegal packages on your Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
        nobody uses that codecs IRL. see the torrent/DL sites
        The most used video platform, Youtube, uses AV1 pretty widely.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Wouldn't focusing on the patent-encumbered stuff first be sort of like Cisco's OpenH264 module for Firefox? Relying on your GPU vendor to buy a decoding license so you don't have to either pay again or futz around with technically-illegal packages on your Fedora?
          Will that actually be the case? Afaik, the whole reason you can’t ship it is because the license doesn’t carry over to users who buy said GPUs. I don’t see how that would change with this vulkan extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
            The most used video platform, Youtube, uses AV1 pretty widely.
            Indeed. And so does Netflix.

And have you seen which companies have joined the Alliance for Open Media? Even Apple is a member.

AV1 is gaining traction, and its support should have been prioritized in Vulkan over h.264 and h.265. I stand by what I wrote earlier. The decision by the Khronos Group to focus on the latter two first was a disgraceful one, and should have received more pushback from the open source community.​

Comment

And have you seen which companies have joined the Alliance for Open Media? Even Apple is a member.
              It would be surprising if they weren't.
              Encode-once-serve-many is where AV1 really shines. There it'll save you money because it'll save you bandwidth.
              And well, Apple also runs a streaming service.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post

Will that actually be the case? Afaik, the whole reason you can’t ship it is because the license doesn’t carry over to users who buy said GPUs. I don’t see how that would change with this vulkan extension.
                I was mainly thinking about nVidia's binary drivers (I'm still on a GeForce GTX750), where hardware decoding tends to be entirely their responsibility on Linux with no option I've ever run across to pay extra for a license.

Comment

The decision by the Khronos Group to focus on the latter two first was a disgraceful one, and should have received more pushback from the open source community.​
                  Why? Khronos is an industry group, not a FOSS one. Of course they are going to focus on what is the current industry standard, before pivoting to more future-looking tech. That's their whole purpose, they aren't a FOSS organization.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I was mainly thinking about nVidia's binary drivers (I'm still on a GeForce GTX750), where hardware decoding tends to be entirely their responsibility on Linux with no option I've ever run across to pay extra for a license.
                    yeah that would make sense I suppose, im not sure if nvidia is distributing this to distros? but I guess it might count as that. boy, licencing is complicated xD

Comment

Originally posted by SuitedUpDev View Post

Oh wow! I stand corrected (I totally missed that in the article). But I am genuinely surprised that NVIDIA built support for this into their drivers, even going back all the way to Maxwell.

This is genuinely a step forward into the right direction (a unified video decode and encode path for Linux).
                      Nvidia in fact is primary proposing force in vulkan video. When vulkan video was initially proposed as whole Nvidia instantly provided drivers that supported new experimental extensions for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X