Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Still Very Early State Of Vulkan For Blender - No Active Developers Working On It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by undefined View Post
    I am just not sure what are the immediate benefits of Vulkan. Eventually, sure, they probably want it because OpenGL is outdated. But I wonder why would people want it faster.
    Well blender is available on other architectures:
    https://packages.debian.org/search?s...ywords=blender

Yet as far as I know there is not opengl drivers for all this gpus used in this systems, so I am not sure how big of a deal it is, but it would give you support for more hardware without using a wrapper link zink. Arm Hardware tends to be horrible slow anyway use a wrapper on top of that and viewpoint FPS could become really painful. Just a thought, but I am no expert on blender and all that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by undefined View Post
      What would having Vulkan instead of OpenGL give Blender? Would it mean new features? Or does it only mean viewport FPS increase? Do people really have issues because of viewport FPS?

I am just not sure what are the immediate benefits of Vulkan. Eventually, sure, they probably want it because OpenGL is outdated. But I wonder why would people want it faster.
      there are a three things off the top of my head, possibly better integration with compute, blender deprecated opencl so working on vulkan could very well be a 2-in-1. the other thing is obviously performance. while performance won't necessarily be better just because of a swap to vulkan. however as a great many projects have shown, vulkan certainly has a great amount of possibility for performance. and lastly is compatibility.

while desktops wont suffer much of an issue, as more and more arm devices come along, many of which have issues with full opengl which is required by blender, migrating to something like vulkan can make support for these devices (I've seen people try to use blender on a PS3 with linux on it, I dont think its out there that people will want to use it on arm devices) so the compatibility benefits are there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

there are a three things off the top of my head, possibly better integration with compute, blender deprecated opencl so working on vulkan could very well be a 2-in-1. the other thing is obviously performance. while performance won't necessarily be better just because of a swap to vulkan. however as a great many projects have shown, vulkan certainly has a great amount of possibility for performance. and lastly is compatibility.

while desktops wont suffer much of an issue, as more and more arm devices come along, many of which have issues with full opengl which is required by blender, migrating to something like vulkan can make support for these devices (I've seen people try to use blender on a PS3 with linux on it, I dont think its out there that people will want to use it on arm devices) so the compatibility benefits are there too.
        Got it, thank you (and other before you) for answers! I didn't know about the lack of support of OpenGL by ARM devices and that Vulkan could help to do vendor-agnostic raytracing. This is truly important, I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
        X