Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi V3DV Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.2

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi V3DV Driver Now Exposes Vulkan 1.2

The Mesa V3DV open-source Vulkan driver for supporting Broadcom VideoCore V/VI graphics that is most notably used by the Raspberry Pi 4 and later is now exposing Vulkan 1.2 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will this land within mesa anytime soon? How long until I will see the updated libs landing in Raspberry Pi OS or even Ubuntu for to be useful on my RPI4? Unless maintainers cut some corners it would be at least 1 year until it bubbles through mesa then some next debian release and later Ubuntu or Raspberry Pi OS.

Comment

You can switch the raspbian repos to unstable, mesa only takes a bit longer to propagate there than usual but they are usually more or less in sync (current is 22.1.3).

The big question for me, is if this current version works with Zink because the last time I tried in unstable (22.0.x) they didn't play well.

Comment

Originally posted by heredoc View Post
        Will this land within mesa anytime soon? How long until I will see the updated libs landing in Raspberry Pi OS or even Ubuntu for to be useful on my RPI4? Unless maintainers cut some corners it would be at least 1 year until it bubbles through mesa then some next debian release and later Ubuntu or Raspberry Pi OS.
        Even though you registered way back in 2014 I guess you must be new to Linux?

Here's a ProTip:

Install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on your RPi4 & simply add this PPA:

The goal of this PPA is to provide the latest point release of Mesa plus select non-invasive early backports. Deviations from upstream packages are listed on the package details page. --- Support status --- Bionic (18.04) - Discontinued - Long term users can use kisak-mesa stable Focal (20.04) - Supported Jammy (22.04) - Supported Lunar (23.04) - End of Life - Removal after 4 weeks (2024-03-01) Mantic (23.10) - Preliminary support (Not tested locally) Note: Please report any issues to mesa...

Once MESA 22.2 is released, you'll automatically get Vulkan 1.2 support, because:

The Vulkan 1.2 enablement has already landed.

Kisak's PPA also includes both armhf & ARM64 builds, so you are covered no matter whether you are running the 32 or 64-bit build.

Hope that clears it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Even though you registered way back in 2014 I guess you must be new to Linux?

Here's a ProTip:

Install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on your RPi4 & simply add this PPA:

The goal of this PPA is to provide the latest point release of Mesa plus select non-invasive early backports. Deviations from upstream packages are listed on the package details page. --- Support status --- Bionic (18.04) - Discontinued - Long term users can use kisak-mesa stable Focal (20.04) - Supported Jammy (22.04) - Supported Lunar (23.04) - End of Life - Removal after 4 weeks (2024-03-01) Mantic (23.10) - Preliminary support (Not tested locally) Note: Please report any issues to mesa...

Once MESA 22.2 is released, you'll automatically get Vulkan 1.2 support, because:

The Vulkan 1.2 enablement has already landed.

Kisak's PPA also includes both armhf & ARM64 builds, so you are covered no matter whether you are running the 32 or 64-bit build.

Hope that clears it up!
          I presume after adding the PPA and apt updating you need to apt-install something? What is that something? Thank you in advance.

Comment

As long as the Pi foundation keeps pushing their debian based OS with binary blobs and a heavily patched and outdated popcornmix kernel, things will never get of the ground.
            Imo with all the money they're making, much more efforts should be put in upstreaming everything into the kernel and mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              As long as the Pi foundation keeps pushing their debian based OS with binary blobs and a heavily patched and outdated popcornmix kernel, things will never get of the ground.
              I don't think they will change anytime soon, they like so much to prove users wrong and to refuse support for what they consider non official. I think there are stuck with their proprietary garbage. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

I presume after adding the PPA and apt updating you need to apt-install something? What is that something? Thank you in advance.
                Most likely the Mesa Vulkan driver package is already installed, therefore after adding the PPA & "sudo apt update", always make sure to run the following command when upgrading your system:
                Code:
                sudo apt full-upgrade
                In case the Vulkan driver should still be missing, then the following command should take care of that:
                Code:
                sudo apt install mesa-vulkan-drivers
                Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                  Imo with all the money they're making, much more efforts should be put in upstreaming everything into the kernel and mesa.
                  This is in upstream Mesa, though I agree that the kernel stuff could be a bit more timely.

Comment

In my case, for the use I want, the Raspberry Pi 4 is a complete failure. Many things do not work anymore with the last official OS, both softwares and hardwares, and the only solution to mitigate this whole failure is to reinstall the previous release of the OS. Don't tell me to try other not official OSs because of lack of support of many other things.
                    Great device, and great work, for sure, but I have to pass to a traditional x86, Intel low power solution. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X