Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's Lavapipe Now Officially Vulkan 1.2 Conformant

Phoronix: Mesa's Lavapipe Now Officially Vulkan 1.2 Conformant

Lavapipe as Mesa's software/CPU-based Vulkan implementation akin to LLVMpipe for OpenGL is now officially Vulkan 1.2 conformant...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice, congratulations to all developers involved!
    Still, I hate all these non-intuitive names!
    Couldn't they find something more intuitive for all these projects like SoftwareVulkan, SoftwareOpenGL or SoftVK and SoftOG?
    I mean there's nothing int their name to give you a hint that it's software or it's for Vulkan or OpenGL.
    I hope someday someone can work with all of them to agree to rename them to something more intuitive and standard.
    Last edited by Danny3; 27 May 2022, 10:17 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Couldn't they find something more intuitive for all these projects like SoftwareVulkan, SoftareOpenGL or SoftVK and SoftOG?
      I mean there's nothing int their name to give you a hint that it's software or it's for Vulkan or OpenGL.
      I hope someday someone can work with all of them to agree to rename them to something more intuitive and standard.
      If going that route, better name it MesaSoftwareVulkan because otherwise other project that may implement a software vulkan would have to be named SoftwareVulkanButNotMesa or something like that. Proper noun requires to learn about it but at least it's not ambiguous.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

If going that route, better name it MesaSoftwareVulkan because otherwise other project that may implement a software vulkan would have to be named SoftwareVulkanButNotMesa or something like that. Proper noun requires to learn about it but at least it's not ambiguous.
        I agree.

Comment

Couldn't they find something more intuitive for all these projects like SoftwareVulkan, SoftareOpenGL or SoftVK and SoftOG?
          Trademarks are still a thing. You can't just go around naming stuff Vulkan or OpenGL without stepping on the trademarks. In general you can only refer to something as Vulkan or OpenGL after it's conformant.

In general these are just project names, you run Linux the packages should be just there on your distro, and if you need software it should just work.

Comment

Couldn't they find something more intuitive for all these projects like SoftwareVulkan, SoftwareOpenGL or SoftVK and SoftOG?
            Can't agree more.

mesaSoftVk would be 100 times better.

The gold medal of stupid names is for mesa D3D12 which is an OpenGL driver...

Comment

Missed occasion for calling it LavaTube

Comment

I like lavapipe myself, but regardless, I wonder if yuzu and ryujinx will work with this, since they have issues on radv. I wonder if this could at least be used for testing

Comment

Y'all act like Mesa and Vulkan are intuitive, which they aren't. They're only intuitive to people already in the know.

Off the top of my head I know that Mesa is a city, a graphics platform, a geographical feature, and a bass amp. Vulkan, if one isn't keen on graphics standards, could be seen as a mistakenly spelled Vulcan which could be a planet on Star Trek or the planet between Mercury and the Sun. Vulkan correctly spelled can refer to various military equipment. Thanks to that MesaSoftwareVulkan could be geotracking software for missiles or a fork of ProjectM in Vulkan if you're not keen on PC graphics standards and going on your experiences to what you think is intuitive.

Just they other day I saw a question, I think it was on Stackoverflow or Reddit, where some person was asking if Steam was a reputable game store. Steam of all places. So if random folks don't know WTF a Steam is or if a Steam is a reputable source for games do y'all really think MesaSoftwareVulkan is more intuitive than LavaPipe?

A literal Lava Pipe:

Comment

For someone out of the loop about Lavapipe, is this a replacement for libs like vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-radeon vulkan-icd-loader lib32-vulkan-icd-loader?
                    Or is it a graphic driver for vulkan specific applications?

If not, what is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X