Vulkan 1.3.213 Released With Minor Ray-Tracing Update, Other New Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.213 Released With Minor Ray-Tracing Update, Other New Extensions

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.213 Released With Minor Ray-Tracing Update, Other New Extensions

Vulkan 1.3.213 is out today that on top of the usual specification clarifications/corrections are also four new extensions, including VK_KHR_ray_tracing_maintenance1...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...3.213-Released

What are radv plans for these new extensions?

Comment

Looks like radv work is coming too: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/16430

Comment

Radv will have to get a HELL of allot better at RT for people to actually use it. Even most NVIDIA users must enable DLSS in order to get that 60+ fps with RT enabled.

It's like the tech is 10years ahead of its time really.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Radv will have to get a HELL of allot better at RT for people to actually use it. Even most NVIDIA users must enable DLSS in order to get that 60+ fps with RT enabled.

It's like the tech is 10years ahead of its time really.
          I think RADV isn't the one to blame here, but rather the lackluster dedicated ray-tracing hardware unit of RDNA2 compared to nVidia.

No idea if RDNA3 is going to fundamentally improve in this regard...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I think RADV isn't the one to blame here, but rather the lackluster dedicated ray-tracing hardware unit of RDNA2 compared to nVidia.

No idea if RDNA3 is going to fundamentally improve in this regard...
            While true; we have a baseline for comparison which is Windows titles, some of which have Linux versions I think. I don't know what the condition of RT support via proton/wine and radv is, probably poor.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

While true; we have a baseline for comparison which is Windows titles, some of which have Linux versions I think. I don't know what the condition of RT support via proton/wine and radv is, probably poor.
              I believe someone commented on a recent RT merge request (not sure if it's been committed yet or not) that their 6700XT on linux was performing like a 6600XT on windows. So it's not too far off.

Edit: Just noticed on another one, a RT-specific benchmark is still only running at 25% speed. I guess the other test is likely less bound only by the RT performance. So still quite a ways to go after all.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 14 May 2022, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X