Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GravityMark 1.44 Released With Ray-Tracing Support

Phoronix: GravityMark 1.44 Released With Ray-Tracing Support

Those wanting to enjoy some impressive Vulkan ray-traced visuals on Linux (and macOS or Windows) now have GravityMark to add to the list of Linux-native ray-traced software for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the thing that's more incredible is how it does not use any cpu at all. completely gpu-dependant. even with a million asteroids on screen.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
      the thing that's more incredible is how it does not use any cpu at all. completely gpu-dependant. even with a million asteroids on screen.
      GPUs are called Graphics Processing Units for a reason

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/...rogrammability

Geometry shaders are now at the very least 15 years old. Modern desktop CPUs cannot even process all the geometry in games if you dare to do it:

Last edited by birdie; 16 January 2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

GPUs are called Graphics Processing Units for a reason

https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/...rogrammability

Geometry shaders are now at the very least 15 years old. Modern desktop CPUs cannot even process all the geometry in games if you dare to do it:

Yes they are but there is an awful lot on benchmarks ect that use little to no CPU that still benefit a faster CPU

Comment

What do I have to do to run the ray tracing part on an RX 6700 XT?

Code:
          export RADV_PERFTEST=rt; ./run_fullscreen_vk_rt.sh
          results in "Ray Tracing support is required". Running kernel 5.15, Mesa 22-git.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
            What do I have to do to run the ray tracing part on an RX 6700 XT?

Code:
            export RADV_PERFTEST=rt; ./run_fullscreen_vk_rt.sh
            results in "Ray Tracing support is required". Running kernel 5.15, Mesa 22-git.
            As mentioned in the article, it doesn't work on RADV due to RADV not yet having Vulkan ray queries support.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As mentioned in the article, it doesn't work on RADV due to RADV not yet having Vulkan ray queries support.
              Oh dear, that's one paragraph I apparently didn't read at all! Sorry and thanks for the pointer.

Comment

free gpu benchmark that has RT support? Awesome. Love to see free benchmarks
                Last edited by Quackdoc; 16 January 2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

there is something wrong going on with shadows. The shadows on the planet move with the camera instead of following the light source.

Comment

Hm, is BNieuwenhuizen still working on Raytracing support? Everything I tried didn't work about a month ago (Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal and possibly another game I forgot), resulting in GPU hangs and crashes on my RX 6900XT.

Comment

Working...
                    X