GRVK 0.5 Gets Battlefield 4 Running With AMD's Mantle Over Vulkan API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRVK 0.5 Gets Battlefield 4 Running With AMD's Mantle Over Vulkan API

Phoronix: GRVK 0.5 Gets Battlefield 4 Running With AMD's Mantle Over Vulkan API

It's been a number of months since GRVK 0.4 as the open-source project re-implementing AMD's defunct Mantle API over the modern Vulkan API that was originally based on the former. With Sunday's release of GRVK 0.5, this Mantle-on-Vulkan translation layer is now capable of correctly rendering Battlefield 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alright, im eating my words, even if it is just cpu, I didn't think this would rival dxvk anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Alright, im eating my words, even if it is just cpu, I didn't think this would rival dxvk anytime soon.
      I don't think their plan is to rival DXVK with the ~3 applications ever released using mantle. But why should we not have this, why should we not be able to run everything. We will sooner or later also see a translation layer for Apples Joke GPU API to Vulkan, maybe even one for Apples not as embarrassing anymore GPU API 2 to Vulkan.

Comment

Maybe, but currently not all the features are supported (tesselation shaders for example), so that may change. However nice work from all involved!

Comment

Incredible job, but useless.

Comment

What does the GR in GRVK even stand for?

Comment

This may have the biggest impact in Beyond Earth, as turn times are much faster when running Mantle IIRC.

And that was such an under-rated civ. Not fully baked, maybe, but so is every mainline Civ with the first expansion, and some of its mechanics are huge improvements over Civ V or even Civ VI.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I don't think their plan is to rival DXVK with the ~3 applications ever released using mantle.
                Thief / Battlefield 4 / Battlefield Hardline / Dragon Age Inquisition / Sniper Elite 3 / Civilization Beyond Earth / Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (lmao at this one)

So ... 6 titles that can benefit from performance improvements.

Thief isn't CPU bound in the campaign. But Mantle might help set new records for the hilariously CPU bound benchmark the game has.
                BF4 also isn't CPU bound in the campaign. Maybe just a tiny bit in MP?
                Hardline: no one plays MP, so this would be strictly for the SP ... where it's not CPU bound
                Dragon Age can be CPU bound sometimes, so if there is an improvement here, cool.
                Sniper Elite 3 I can't remember being CPU bound in DX11, but I might be remembering wrong.
                Civilization games always benefit from lower level APIs, but then again, who plays Beyond Earth?
                Plants vs Zombies? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
                  What does the GR in GRVK even stand for?
                  GRaphics, maybe?

It's just a prefix used in AMD's Mantle API, so you'd have to ask them. I'd say Mantle used to have a different name internally before it was released publicly. Mantle was the marketing name they came up with later.

Comment

Only 75% as good in GPU bound scenarios still. I'd say it's got a ways to go before it's really worth trying, but it's a cool little side project for someone.

Comment

Working...
                    X